Takeaways from Super Bowl LVIII’s Commercials

Ice+Spice+featured+in+a+Super+Bowl+commercial+for+Starry+Soda+
ABC News
Ice Spice featured in a Super Bowl commercial for Starry Soda

The 2024 Super Bowl was more than  just a battle on the field; t was  a battle for viewers’ attention during  commercial breaks. This year’s crop of ads offered a diverse mix of humor, heartwarming moments, and A-list celebrity appearances. Here’s a glimpse into some of the most talked-about commercials:

State Farm: Agent State Farm Returns
In this blockbuster parody trailer, Arnold Schwarzenegger returned as Agent State Farm in “State Farm: The Movie”. This commercial showcased the familiar action hero protecting homes from everyday disasters, complete with explosions and witty one-liners. This nostalgic callback was a hit with fans of the long-running campaign (USA Today).

Uber Eats: The Beckhams Forget Big Moments
David and Victoria Beckham poke fun at themselves in this relatable and humorous ad for Uber Eats. The couple hilariously forgets important occasions, like their anniversary and son’s graduation, only to be saved by timely UberEats deliveries. The ad’s comedic timing and celebrity appeal were a winning combination. Ramapo History teacher, Mr Mayor, stated, “I am a big fan of soccer as well as David Beckham so this was easily one of the most memorable commercials of the night for me.”

Dunkin’: Ben Affleck and Friends
Ben Affleck showed his love for Dunkin’ once again in this star-filled commercial featuring his wife, Jennifer Lopez, Matt Damon, and director Kevin Smith. The ad showcased Affleck on a quest for his beloved Dunkin’ run, encountering hilarious obstacles and his famous friends along the way. The confident humor and celebrity cameos made this commercial a favorite by many (Deadline).

Google Pixel: “Saved by Pixel” Moments
Google Pixel took a heartwarming approach with this commercial, featuring everyday people using the Pixel’s features to capture life-changing moments. From a dad capturing his daughter’s first steps to a doctor using real-time translation to help a patient, the ad highlighted the Pixel’s practical uses in a touching way. Ramapo senior, Antonio Spina, stated, “The Google Pixel commercial had to be my favorite this year. It had a happy vibe and all the frames they played were super positive.”

Other Standouts:
– Verizon’s ad featured a futuristic dance battle set in the metaverse, highlighting the company’s 5G network.
– Hellman’s challenged viewers to “Make Taste Not Waste” with a visually stunning commercial promoting food waste reduction.
– Popeye’s poked fun at fast-food stereotypes with a humorous ad featuring a sophisticated chicken enjoying a fine dining experience.

Overall, the 2024 Super Bowl commercials showcased an emphasis on humor, heartwarming stories, and star power. While some ads relied on familiar faces and nostalgia, others offered innovative approaches and social commentary. This diverse mix of commercials ensured that viewers were entertained and engaged throughout the night, proving that the Super Bowl ad space remains a creative battleground for brands seeking to capture the hearts and minds of America.