Cabaret Night Showcase

Students and faculty performing at Cabaret Night; Junior Sasha Corlett,

The Annual Ramapo Music Showcase, better known as “Cabaret Night,” hosted by the Ramapo Music Association, is a brilliant and fun way for students and faculty at Ramapo to showcase their musical talents. This lively night includes performances from the Ramapo Choir, the Ramapo Jazz Band, an appearance from the cast of the Drowsy Chaperone, and many other student and faculty acts. Mrs. Reitter, a choir, orchestra, and AP Music Theory teacher at Ramapo explained that, “The event is ticketed, and they also put on a tricky tray-style fundraiser so guests can enter to win basket prizes. The money raised goes to support various costs for the music department as well as select senior scholarships for music department seniors.”

Mrs. Reitter also considered her personal highlight of the night: “This year we had several students perform with family members which was so fun! It’s also always fun to see many of our Ramapo teachers perform— this year, we got to hear from Mr. Hudak, Ms. Angerson, Mr. Russell, Mr. Sawyer, Mr. Basili, Mr. Sloezen, and Mr. Friedman.” 

Lauren Fleissner, a senior at Ramapo who has been involved with music at Ramapo through her four years of high school, including both the Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Choir, and Jazz Band, is a strong advocate for student participation at Cabaret Night. She expressed, “Why wouldn’t you participate or come out to see it?!? I can’t stress enough how fun it is – it’s a coffee-house style open-mic night with all your talented friends and peers (and teachers! Trust me when I say you haven’t lived until you see your teacher tear it up on the guitar), plus great raffle baskets that fundraise for the music department!”  When asked about her involvement with music at Ramapo, and her own experience performing at Cabaret night, she made sure to mention that Cabaret Night is not strictly for musicians. She says, “For anyone not involved in music, I still totally say come out and support! It’s a concert with such a wide range of acts, from Broadway classics to drum solos to accordion duets (yes, I’m serious) – I promise there will be something for you. I think Cabaret Night is the perfect time for students not involved in music at Ramapo to see what we’re all about here in the Music Department!! Trust me, you’ll have fun!” Lauren’s utter passion for music and love for the Ramapo Music Department is illustrative of the lively and welcoming community that the Ramapo Music Department can offer to students. 

Show your support for the Ramapo music community next year by attending Ramapo’s Cabaret Night! All are welcome!