Eternal Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine album cover
spotify.com
Eternal Sunshine album cover

With hits like “Thank U, Next” and “Side to Side,” Ariana Grande has been a pop sensation for over a decade. It has been four years since her last album, Positions, was released, and now Grande is back and better than ever. After months of controversy surrounding her divorce and recent relationships, Ariana Grande claps back in her newest pop and R&B album, Eternal Sunshine, released on March 8, 2024. 

The album’s lead single “Yes, And?” was released on January 12, 2024, and has now accumulated over 275 million listens on Spotify, even reaching number one on the Billboard Hot 100. Some may recognize this album’s name from the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the 2004 sci-fi drama starring celebrities like Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, and the movie that inspired this album. The song “Eternal Sunshine” closely follows the movie’s premise. The movie follows the story of Joel Barish (Jim Carrey) and his relationship with Clementine Kruczynski (Kate Winslet). After they break up, Clementine undergoes a procedure to erase her memories of her relationship with Joel. After learning of the lengths Clementine went to erase him from her life, Joel decides to undergo the same procedure and slowly forgets his life with her. The lines “So I try to wipe my mind / Just so I feel less insane / Rather feel painless” from Grande’s song are a reference to the movie’s story. 

A Ramapo freshman expresses her opinion on this new album, saying, “Ariana Grande’s new songs help to encapsulate the entire essence of the movie it’s inspired from. The beginning of the album poses questions to the listeners and by the end of it, every query is answered. She also answers questions that were asked in some of her previous songs, showing how much she has grown and matured. I think this album is a great piece of artwork that everyone should enjoy.”

Along with this album have come two new music videos for the songs “Yes, And?” and “We Can’t Be Friends (Wait for Your Love).” In the latter, Grande shocks fans with a guest-star appearance of famous actor, Evan Peters. The “We Can’t Be Friends (Wait for Your Love)” music video shows Evan Peters and Ariana Grande making snow angels, paying homage to the similar iconic scene in Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. The scene at the end of the music video also seems to reference the birthday cake scene from the iconic 80’s film, “Sixteen Candles.” Together, both music videos have grossed over 83 million views on YouTube.

Ramapo art teacher Ms. Hollm expresses, “Ariana Grande’s new album reaches diverse audiences through her ability to connect her lyrics and vulnerability to personal happenings. Her song, ‘We Can’t Be Friends (Wait for Your Love)’ makes ties to the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and her music video is a beautiful representation of letting go of love. Her album is definitely one to experience.”

When listening to this album, some songs may seem familiar. Many songs on this album feature familiar 90’s and 00’s melodies with “The Boy Is Mine” being a direct nod to Brandy and Monica’s “The Boy is Mine” from 1998 and “Yes, And?” sharing the beat of Madonna’s “Vogue” from 1990. Robyn’s “Dancing on My Own” from 2010 inspired the pop beat of “We Can’t Be Friends (Wait for Your Love)” (The Washington Post).

With its heartbreaking lyrics and smooth melody, Eternal Sunshine is just the album the world needs right now. So, hop onto your favorite listening platform and give it a listen. You won’t regret it!

Sources: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/2024/03/08/ariana-grande-eternal-sunshine-review/

https://www.businessinsider.com/ariana-grande-eternal-sunshine-lyrics-easter-eggs-2024-3#eternal-sunshine-is-directly-tied-to-the-films-tragic-love-story-5

https://open.spotify.com/