Senior Spotlight: Amelia Keogh

Amelia Keogh Racing Big North Freedom Race
NorthJersey.com

As the Spring Track season begins, so does Ramapo’s top distance runner, Amelia Keogh’s race to success. After an impressive cross country and winter track season, along with obtaining the second fastest indoor 3200m time in school history, Amelia has proven to her coaches, teammates, and competitors that she is not a force to be reckoned with. Distance coach Mr. Nangle states that, “Amelia has always been a strong runner but from the end of her sophomore year to her junior year she vastly improved […] She has been one of the greatest distance runners in school history with her performances so far.”

Amelia’s journey with running began in her freshman year of high school. Amelia’s goal was to compete and eventually win against her older sister, who was a junior at the time. After a great amount of hard work and dedication at practice, Amelia ended up beating her sister in one of her first cross country races. From then on, Amelia’s determination and love for running has pushed her through season after season at a swift and competitive pace no one can seem to halt. 

Over the last four years of running with Ramapo High School, Amelia has received numerous awards for her talent and persistence. Some of her many outstanding accomplishments include: placing first in the 3200m at the Sectional Championship Spring Track meet, being nominated for North Jersey Cross Country Runner of the Year, and her first place award in the 5k Cross Country Sectional Championship this past fall. 

Amelia’s passion for running is what keeps her impressive cadence in all seasons. Amelia states, “Running is one of the simplest joys in my life. I am in complete control of my body when I run, and I find comfort in having an outlet to push myself. I love pushing my body and bettering myself.” However, Amelia’s joy for running could not be sustained without one of her biggest supporters. When asked who this was, Amelia states, “My coach, Mr. Nangle, inspires me to be a better runner. Over the years, we have gotten extremely close. He has nurtured my interest in the sport and I owe all of my successes to him.” 

Amelia’s talent is not the only thing that makes her the impressive runner that she is. Amelia’s teammate Brianna Potaki says, “Amelia is a great teammate that I love training and racing with. She is an amazing captain, being a great example and very supportive to all of us.” Throughout her highschool track and cross country seasons, Amelia’s impact has shown her to be a remarkable athlete and teammate to everyone around her. Amelia is considering running with MIT at the collegiate level, and will make her final decision within the upcoming weeks. With one final high school outdoor season to go, Amelia is set up for success, and her team will watch as she sprints through the finish line. Good luck with everything you do Amelia! The future’s so bright for you!