Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Dune Part 2: A Modern Masterpiece

Dune Part 2 stars Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya
freaking.news

For over 40 years, fans have hoped for a successful adaptation of the Dune franchise on the big screen. In 2021, Dune Part 1 was released, marking a new trilogy’s beginning. Many believed Part 1 was rather slow, but it was undoubtedly a great way to set up an exciting new saga. Now that Dune Part 2 has been released three years later, the movie has received unprecedented success and is being named one of the best sci-fi movies in recent memory. 

Director Denis Villeneuve’s film follows Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides, a prince thrust into the role of Duke after his empire and the most valuable planet in the universe is invaded. Most of the film takes place on a planet called Arrakis, home to the most valuable commodity in the universe, a spice that guides ships during space travel. Paul seeks out help from the Arrakis natives and hopes to defeat the invading Harkonnen and revive his family’s name. 

With a star-studded cast including Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, Austin Butler, Rebecca Furgeson, and Stellan Skarsgård, Dune Part 2 is able to showcase these characters in a way we’ve never seen before (thewrap.com). While the movie’s 2-hour and 45-minute run time might seem daunting for some viewers, every minute is crucial to understanding the intricate storyline. An interesting aspect of this storyline is the emphasis on political and religious influence in warfare. Using both a religion-driven society and a firm totalitarian empire, Villeneuve delves deep into the cultural differences between the two species, which makes their fights worth so much more. Ramapo senior Andrew Onderdonk loved the film and said that it was “a visually stunning film with an incredible soundtrack and a great blend of action and space politics. I went into the movie with high expectations, and it exceeded those expectations. I definitely would recommend this movie to anyone, even if you have to watch the first one to watch this one.” 

Critics agree that the most remarkable part of the film is the stunning visuals and color schemes that are used. The movie is filled with scenes of polarizing colors and special effects that make the movie seem unbelievably realistic and appealing. Fans shouldn’t have expected anything less from Villeneuve, as he strives for his work to be visually appealing. Ramapo senior Ben Fischer stated, “I thought the fight choreography and visual effects were stunning.”. 

Overall, the film does an excellent job of handling the novel’s complex story and deserves to be recognized as one of the best sci-fi movies of the 21st century. 

Sources:

https://www.thewrap.com/dune-part-two-cast-characters/