Music in March : Locura de Marzo

A+cover+of+Alvaro+Soler%E2%80%99s+winning+song++%E2%80%9CPara+Vivarla%E2%80%9D+
Señor Ashby
A cover of Alvaro Soler’s winning song “Para Vivarla”

2024 Winner:

Directly translating to “March Madness,” Locura de Marzo is a nationwide competition ranking the best Hispanic music. Each week, students and staff have voted daily between two songs, played before and after the morning announcements. On Tuesday, March 19, the 2024 winner of Locura de Marzo was announced to be “Para Vivirla” by Alvaro Soler with a 59.8% win. This win was accurately predicted by Señora Ciprian, who runs Locura de Marzo at Ramapo. She reasoned, “Alvaro Soler won Locura de Marzo in 2019 with the song ‘Lo Mismo’ and in 2020 with the song ‘La Libertad,’ indicating a potential preference for his music among participants.”

Other contenders this year were “Bonita” by Daddy Yankee, “Amor con Hielo” by Morat, “Mañana is too late” by Jesse & Joy and J Balvin, “Somos” by Gente De Zona, “La Vida es Una” by Karol G, “Cuando te Besé” by Becky G and Paulo Londra, “Acróstico” by Shakira, “Mejor que Ayer” by Diego Torres, “La América que se Olvida” by Renata Flores, “Volvió a latir” by Milena Warthon and Chila Jatun, “Ojos Marrones” by Lasso and Sebastián Yatra, “Levanta tu Bandera” by Ale Mendoza, Sartiboy, and Tayl G, ft. Yessie, Mr Fer, Danny Marín, “Contento” by Jorge Luis Chacín, “Mambo 23” by Juan Luis Guerra, and “Ojitos Rojos” by Grupo Frontera and Ke Personajes.

Since 2018, Locura de Marzo has been an annual tradition for the Spanish classes at Ramapo High School. It has allowed the students and faculty to become exposed and immersed in Spanish culture, music, and language. Adeline Rohner, a freshman currently taking Spanish 2 at Ramapo, commented, “I enjoyed participating and voting for songs at the start of Spanish class each day. Getting to listen to new music and styles was my favorite part.”

Importance:

Locura de Marzo provides Ramapo students with the opportunity to explore and appreciate Hispanic culture. Music is a universal language, which everyone can celebrate. Señora Ciprian, explained, “Locura de Marzo injects energy and excitement into the school environment, revitalizing enthusiasm for learning during a time when both teachers and students may be feeling fatigued from the academic year.” Locura de Marzo is unique in allowing everyone to easily take part in exploring and celebrating various musical styles.