Tulsa King Season 1 Review

IMDB.com
Cover of Tulsa King

Newest Mafia Series to Hit the Streets

Tulsa King is the newest mafia series to hit streaming services, and critics adored the first season. Written by Taylor Sheridan, who is also the writer for Yellowstone, it is described as a shift in writing that “suits Stallone” (rottentomatoes.com). It almost seems as though Sylvestor Stallone was meant for organized crime series all along, after the Rocky series. His 

The Italian facade he holds on screen, along with his intimidating size makes him an excellent mafia caporegime. The numbers speak for themselves, as it was given a 79% rotten tomatoes score and 91% audience score (rottentomatoes.com). “It’s a real made-show. I am as loyal a fan as any consiglieri,” Ramapo Senior, Kevin O’Niell says after a long thought review. Stallone, along with a supporting cast of notable stars, make a great team in a very well written and acted plot.

The Storyline

Stallone plays as Dwight Manfredi, known as “The General” amongst his mafia family, who gets out of prison after a lengthy 25 year sentence for murder and possession of a firearm. Upon reuniting with his family in New York, he is essentially exiled by the family to start a new branch in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The audience was just as confused as him, asking, why Tulsa? After Dwight gave the family a hard time since he was just trying to adjust to life out of the clink, he reluctantly agreed and began working the city as soon as he got there. Dwight began extorting a dispensary on the outskirts of Tulsa and assembled a crew once he became skeptical about the family’s intentions for him being out there. With rival Motorcycle clubs around the area threatening his wealth that is accruing in this new city, heads are bound to collide!

Bottom Line

Between the suspense, the action, and the well written plot, it is for sure a must-watch for Mafia series lovers. Stallone puts together a masterclass performance as the protagonist, especially given his age. He appears to be just as nimble as the Rocky series and nothing is stopping him, for now. The series has been renewed for a second season, however it is expected to come out in early 2025 due to the writers’ strike. Nonetheless, many are willing to wait however long it will take because of the cliffhanger we were left with!