Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Ramapo Boys Soccer: County 3-Peat Accomplished

++Antonio+Spina+and+teammates+celebrating+after+a+game-winning+save%2C+October+15th%2C+2023
Taryn Carrol
Antonio Spina and teammates celebrating after a game-winning save, October 15th, 2023

The Ramapo Boys Soccer team put together another amazing season with a dominating record of 13 wins, 3 losses, and 2 draws. Their record not only speaks volumes about their prowess on the field, but also reflects the countless hours of hard work and discipline that fueled their success. Over the last few years, Ramapo Soccer has epitomized excellence in the community and cemented themselves as one of the most elite soccer teams in the Big North Conference.   

After an undefeated season last year led by a team composed primarily of seniors, the team had big shoes to fill. Despite the void left by departed seniors, they picked up right where they left off and delivered another strong season. The biggest standout of the season was the team’s prolific defense that smothered most teams they faced. Ramapo’s fullbacks Andrew Fitzmaurice, Jake Kramer, and Broder Benner were crucial to the defense’s dominance due to their blocking vision for shots and passes. Senior fullback Andrew Fitzmaurice says that, “trust and communication played an important role this season” within their defense. Ramapo goalie Antonio Spina also played a critical role in preventing teams from scoring. He was honored to make 1st team all county and was named North Jersey Soccer Player of the Week (High School Sports). Spina stated, “This year we had a lot of young guys on the team that really stepped up along with the seniors who have been around the program. It was definitely a fun season and I am very proud of the team”. 

This season Ramapo’s offensive production was also special as the team posed a threat to every defense they faced. With help from Damian DiLisio, Albert Carilli, and Jordan Hunt the team worked together to combine a total of 37 goals this season (High School Sports). Ryan DeKorte and James Fitzmaurice also contributed heavily, consistently making key plays and showcasing their exceptional playmaking abilities. 

Along with Spina, DeKorte and Jacob Marcos also made 1st team all-county this season (High School Sports). Marcos and Jake Weis played pivotal roles on the team, delivering timely stops and strong kicks to position the team for victory. When asked what this season meant to Marcos he stated, “The season meant more to me than just playing soccer. All the activities and hours I spent with my teammates were special. Some people I never knew before are now some of my closest friends”.

Making friends along the way, Ramapo fought their way to the county finals on October 21st against Ramsey. The game ended in a 1-1 draw after a double OT thriller, and Ramapo was named Bergen County Tournament Co-Champion and captured its 3rd county title in 3 years (High School Sports). Unfortunately, Ramapo’s season ended in the second round of states after falling to Northern Highlands in penalty kicks. After an exciting and successful season, coach Evan Baumgarten had high praise for his team, “I would say the team’s ability to work for each other led to the success of the team. We also had talented soccer players who dedicated themselves to being the best that they could be. I enjoyed coaching this group.”.