Ramapo Boys Basketball: Back-to-Back Group III Champs

Ramapo Boys Basketball Team Celebrates Group 3 Title.
Scott Faytok

Entering the season, the Ramapo boys’ basketball team faced high expectations as one of the best teams in the state and looked to repeat as Group 3 State champions. However, the Raiders opened up the season slower than last year with a 10-7 record through their first 17 games. It is important to note that this year Ramapo had a harder schedule after going 8-0 in their league last year. Nonetheless, with already four more losses than the year prior the team looked to end off their season strong. Behind head coach Nick Vier, Ramapo closed out their season with an outstanding 15-1 record and finished the year with a 25-8 record, the 2nd most wins in the Big North standings (nj.com). Ramapo teacher and assistant coach Mr. Cole stated, “As fun as they were to coach, they are seriously the most talented senior class we’ve ever had here and it was great to see them do so well.”

With the regular season concluded Ramapo now focused on securing back-to-back Group 3 titles. Led by the star senior trio of Peyton Seals, Chris Cervino, and Wyatt Eglinton Manner, Ramapo cruised back to the Group 3 finals with an average margin of victory of 27 points. The Raiders faced the 24-8 Freehold Borough High School in their final game and made sure to finish their season spectacularly. After trailing by 8 in the first quarter, Ramapo rallied behind several straight 3-pointers by Chris Cervino and out-scored Freehold Borough 32-9 in the second quarter (nj.com). Ramapo made sure to keep their lead as they had done all season and ended the game with a score of 94-47! Ramapo had won its second straight Group 3 title and second in school history!

However, this wasn’t the only historic achievement of the night as Peyton Seals and Chris Cervino combined for a jaw-dropping 69 points in the win. From the second quarter to the end of the game, Cervino continued to launch deep 3’s from everywhere on the court and ended the game with 34 points. Seals also put on a show of his own with a mix of jump shots and several contact layups that contributed to his 35-point night. When asked about his senior season Seals stated, “The team had a great end to the season winning back-to-back Group 3 championships. It was one of our main goals coming into the year and to get it done the way we did will be something I remember for the rest of my life.” After a historic season, it’s safe to say the Raiders have made our school proud, for the second year in a row!