Meet the New Staff Members at Ramapo : Q & A

The first day of school is a big one, but it is often forgotten that students aren’t the only ones getting acclimated to the school environment. This year, six new teachers are joining the Ramapo community! 

Name: Mr. Trevor Hedges
Classes: English 1 CP, English 2 CPE, English 4 Myth and Cultures

Q: How long have you been teaching? If this is not your first [teaching] job, where else did you teach/work?
A: This is my 15th year as a teacher. I previously taught at Emerson High School.

Q: What college did you go to?
A: THE Ohio State University (undergrad) and William Paterson University (grad)

Q: What motivated you to become a teacher?
A: When I was in high school, they had a “teacher for a day” program, in which seniors were able to take the complete role of one of their teachers for a day, planning out the lessons and teaching all of the classes. I ended up taking the role of one of my phys. ed teachers. Not only did I run gym classes, but I was also able to teach health classes. And since I was a lifeguard and swim instructor at the time, I was able to teach CPR and first aid techniques to the underclassmen. I found that I actually enjoyed not only the instruction of the class, but also being able to plan out different ways to help students learn. As I moved through college, I realized a love for reading and writing and the combination of all of this molded together into the perfect career for me: English Teacher.

Q: What are your goals or hopes for this year (and coming years)?
A: My hope is to become more and more part of this school community, guiding my students not only through passing my classes, but using these skills to move towards colleges and careers.

Q: What are some fun facts about yourself?
A: I am a track/xc coach (specializing in hurdles and pole vault) and a very avid runner (have run a handful of marathons). You will likely see me running around town every once in a while.

Q: Is there anything else that you would like to share?
A: I think it’s important that everyone knows that I believe “The Muppet Christmas Carol” is the greatest holiday movie ever made. If you would like to debate me on this, my room (218) is always open. Bring it on.

Name: Ms. Melissa Liebau
Classes: Culinary Arts

A: This is my first full year of teaching. I was previously working at West Milford High School.

Q: What college did you go to?
A: The University of South Carolina

A: I owned delis/hot grills and always wanted to teach kids how to cook or prepare for a career in the food industry.

A: To build upon the Culinary Arts classes, expand the program with new innovative ideas and hopefully get a new kitchen!

A: I used to work with celebrities in the Entertainment industry, doing media relations.

A: I’m super excited to be working in this district and I’m looking forward to meeting new people and students!

Name: Mr. Edward Salaski
Classes: Chemistry and UP Engineering Research Methods

A: I’ve been teaching for 11 years. I used to teach at Glen Ridge High School and Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Q: What college did you go to?
A: Michigan State University (B.S.) and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Ph.D.).

A: The chance to introduce students to the coolness and relevance of chemistry.

A: To become a member of the Ramapo community and discover all of the great things the school and its students have to offer.

A: I’m an avid hiker, a sometimes biker (when I feel like taking my life in my hands) and a fan of Philadelphia sports teams since childhood. Before becoming a teacher, I spent over 20 years working in the pharmaceutical industry researching new drugs to treat diseases.

A: Feel free to stop by room 716 sometime and say hi!

Name: Mr. Glenn Stokes
Classes: Director of Athletics & Activities

A: 23 years

Q: What college did you go to?
A: Rutgers University and Monmouth University

A: A passion for education and educating children, as well as a passion for athletics and competition.

A: My goals are to help in promoting all the great sports, clubs and activities that we have at Ramapo High School. Additionally, to build on the success that we have had!

A:
– I enjoy spending time with my family!
– My wife is a Spanish teacher in the Ramsey School District.
– I have two children: Connor (13) & Carley (11).
– I enjoy playing golf.
– Our family business was Stokes Dairy Farms (located on Ewing Ave in Franklin Lakes).
– I played basketball at Ramapo High School (1986-1990) and at Rutgers & Monmouth.
– After college, I played professional basketball in South America and Europe. Please feel free to reach out for more info…

A: I am a proud graduate of Ramapo High School, class of 1990.

Mr. Hedges
Mr. Stokes