Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Teacher and Student Votes are in for Ramapo’s Hardest Marking Period

All members of the Ramapo community know that the school year is divided into quarters, or four marking periods. Each quarter brings a new set of assignments, projects, and overall responsibilities to the students of Ramapo, along with the final quarterlies in the last week or two of the marking period. Quarterly week is considered to be the most stressful time for Ramapo students, but the difficulty certainly varies by the marking period. 

Stress Caused By School (Sutton High News)

The first and fourth quarters of the year are considered to be the least difficult by most students and faculty. The first marking period commences the school year, and both students and teachers enjoy getting used to their classes and organizations for the upcoming year.   The fourth marking period is seen as the light at the end of the tunnel for both students and teachers as it is the reminder that summer break is just around the corner. The weather is warmer, excitement for break increases, and once the work is done, most classes are calm for the rest of the year. AP classes especially experience a break from their demanding course load because classes are not forced to follow the college board curriculum after the exams in May. 

Marking Periods 2 and 3 are considered to be the most difficult of the four as they bring their own sets of overwhelming challenges to students and teachers alike. The cushion of Quarter one is removed when Marking Period 2 begins. The rigor and pace of classes increase dramatically, and students often struggle to keep up with schoolwork and extracurriculars. Along with the challenge of classes, the colder weather and shorter days can impact students’ motivation. According to NAMI Howard County MD, “The winter season is known for daylight savings, which is correlated with reduced sunlight, potentially causing a drop in serotonin that may trigger depression” (Lee). The end of the Holiday break can also bring anxiety to the members of Ramapo High School, as the second marking period is only halfway through when students arrive back. It is difficult for students and teachers to resume their everyday lives and continue learning after such an enjoyable hiatus. 

Similar to the Holiday Break in Marking Period 2, the third marking period has February Break, which gives students a chance to relax. However, when students return, they are expected to  resume the demanding schedule and perform at a level that reflects the teachers’ heightened expectations – all while dealing with the same if not worse weather conditions of the second marking period. Students and teachers often experience multiple delayed openings and or snow days in February which forces many teachers to push tests and assignments back, thereby slowing down the already hectic schedule of Marking Period 3. 

Students and teachers of Ramapo High School were asked for their opinions on the hardest marking period at Ramapo. While the reasons for their answers varied, the marking period they chose to be the most difficult was the same. 

When math teacher Ms. Biunno was asked for her opinion, she stated, “The difficulty between Marking Period 2 and Marking Period 3 can vary between courses and individual students. In my own classes, the content is more difficult in MP3 since more abstract concepts are being introduced.”

Sophomores Eva Mellas and Ellee Cha were asked the same question, and both responded with thoughtful reasons explaining their answers. Eva Mellas stated, “Personally, I think Marking Period 3 is harder than Marking Period 2. The topics we learn in core classes get increasingly difficult. Over the past nine days, my Spanish class has been doing daily quizzes in preparation for one big exam that isn’t even the Quarterly.”  Ellee Cha responded, “I think Marking Period 3 is harder because it’s in the middle of the year after all the big holidays in the winter. Also, I think the bad weather can burn some people out.” 

Overall, students and teachers seem to  agree that Marking Period 3 is the most demanding and exhausting of all the marking periods. However, don’t lose hope! March is officially here, Spring is around the corner, and  every early wake-up for school is one day further from tests and papers, and one day closer to Summer Break!