Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Athletic Rankings: Where Does Ramapo Stand?

Drew Gibbs Memorial Field
Aubrey Kwon
Drew Gibbs Memorial Field

Ramapo is known for its outstanding athletic program. This has been officially recognized by Niche, a rating website, which ranked Ramapo as the #6 best athletic school in New Jersey. The top five were Don Bosco Prep, Delbarton, Bergen Catholic, Seton Hall Prep, and St. Peter’s Prep (in that order). This makes Ramapo the best athletic public school in New Jersey (niche.com).

Keys To Success:

In Ramapo’s “report card,” Niche awarded Ramapo an A+ in sports (niche.com). This caliber of accomplishment was not reached overnight. Coach Mike DeFazio, head coach of the football team, attests Ramapo’s success to the support of the FLOW community, explaining, “One of the most important ingredients to success is people who work well with each other and as important, FOR each other.” He adds, “When you have kids who have been playing a sport together since they were in 1st grade, not only do you have athletes who know what makes their teammates tick, you have athletes that care a lot about each other.” Parents, teachers, and fellow students have continuously expressed their support, while top-notch coaches and recreation programs have worked to develop athletes to their highest potential from a young age. 

Improvements:

Even as a highly-ranked school, there are many ways that we can continue to improve the athletic department. Ramapo currently has a B in resources and facilities (niche.com). Coach DeFazio commented that the facilities could use upgrading, such as changing the fields from grass to turf, building a field house, upgrading the locker rooms, and renovating and building another athletic fitness center. Meanwhile, Madeline Engleman-Sanz, co-founder of Ramapo Women’s Sports Coalition, emphasized, “I think that improvement could begin with students and coaches actively trying to recruit student participation in sports that aren’t as well known.”

Regardless of rank, Ramapo has excelled at supporting and competing in sports, even through challenges. Maddie continued, “As a senior who started at Ramapo during the COVID-19 pandemic, I am happy to say I’ve seen a big difference from when I started in that we can now come together in person as fans and as players. Participating on a team or cheering for your classmates are both fun and rewarding parts of being a student at Ramapo.”