GoodReads “Wrapped” 2023

The year 2023 has been significant for highly anticipated book releases, whether they are the continuation of series left on cliffhangers, fresh picks by famous authors, or even debut novels. The best way to summarize the books of 2023 is through GoodReads: a platform used by millions of readers to set reading goals, shelve and rate books, track reading progress, discover new novels, and connect with others. English teacher Mrs. Steier says, “I think Goodreads is a great resource for readers, especially students who don’t know what they like to read or don’t know what they want to read next. Getting book recommendations from real readers is invaluable. I also like the way they organize recommended titles into lists which makes browsing for a new book easy. I think the most helpful feature is the individualized recommendations based on books you have enjoyed in the past—the algorithm suggests titles that other readers liked who have similar reading interests. The more books you rate, the more accurate your recommendations are. It’s cool!” Furthermore, English teacher Mr. Basili comments on the more social aspect of the platform, “I love GoodReads! It’s essentially a combination of reading Amazon reviews and social media. You can see what your friends read and what they thought about each book. Seeing someone’s favorite stories and reading what they liked about them can be one of the best and most interesting ways to get to know a person and connect.” Each year, they host the GoodReads Choice Awards in which users vote on ten nominated books from twenty categories. Let’s take a look at some of this year’s books from the 15th annual GoodReads Choice Awards!

The cover of Yellowface

Fiction: Yellowface by R.F. Kuang

Rating: 3.87/5.00

The book Yellowface follows protagonist June Hayward as she steals her deceased friend’s manuscripts for a book and publishes it as her own, giving her rise to fame as a struggling writer. However, when evidence is brought to light that threatens her success, she realizes just how far she would go to keep what she believes is hers. It is meant to satirize the publishing industry and covers topics such as racism, diversity, and cultural appropriation.

The cover of Weyward.

Historical Fiction: Weyward by Emilia Hart

Rating: 4.13/5.00

The book Weyward weaves together three stories from three different centuries about three remarkable women. There is Kate, who is living in 2019 when she begins to suspect secrets held within the cottage she inherited from her Great Aunt, which dates back to the witch-hunts of the 17th century. There is Altha, a convict of witchcraft in 1619 who tries against all odds to gain her freedom. Lastly, Violet, living during World War II, follows traces to discover her mother’s past. This book explores the deep connections between these three women and the natural world.

The cover of Fourth Wing

Romantasy: Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros

Rating: 4.63/5.00

Upon its release on April 5th, 2023, Fourth Wing has blown up across social media platforms, namely TikTok, due to its immersive storytelling, dynamic characters, and an overall reading experience similar to that of Harry Potter. This novel takes place in Basgiath War College, where twenty-year-old protagonist Violet Sorrengail, prepared to enter a quiet life among books in the Scribe Quadrant, is thrown into the dragon rider’s quadrant, a ferocious branch of the school where many enter and few survive. She will need to use every skill and ounce of will she has to make it through every day, considering her fragility and that many people would kill her just because of who her mother is.

The cover of Divine Rivals

Young Adult Fantasy: Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

Rating: 4.26/5.00

Divine Rivals is an enemies-to-lovers fantasy novel following two rivaling journalists during a war among gods. Iris Winnow’s family is falling apart: her brother is missing from the front lines and her mother is struggling with addiction. Winnow believes her best chance to hold them together is to win a promotion at the Oath Gazette. She begins to write letters to her brother, and they are placed into the hands of Roman Kitt, her rival journalist. When he writes back anonymously, they form a connection that follows Iris to the front lines of battle. This book represents the horrors of war, familial bonds, and finding love. Being the first in the series, many readers have been anticipating a sequel, and there’s good news: the second book, Ruthless Vows, is being released on December 26th, 2023! It’s the perfect time for a new read over the holiday break!

The cover of Poverty, by America.

Nonfiction: Poverty, by America by Matthew Desmond

Rating: 4.30/5.00

Poverty, by America dives deep into understanding “why poverty persists in the richest country of all time,” explains Mr. Basili. He was recommended this book by another reader as well as the story I Do Everything I’m Told by Megan Fernandes, a collection of poetry. In Poverty, by America, Desmond makes a compelling case on why and how wealthy Americans are knowingly and unknowingly exploiting the poor and keeping them in poverty, and what we can do about it. 

Those are just five of the winners of the GoodReads Choice Awards this year, and many more can be found on the website under the other categories: mystery, thriller, horror, humor, romance, fantasy, science fiction, young adult fiction, memoir, debut novel, autobiography, history, and biography. Lauren Fleissner, a senior at Ramapo, loves “a lot about the platform, such as the ability to put books into other ‘shelves’ by your own chosen categories. I love being able to find friends through groups that do giveaways, readathons, or just provide room for discussions on whatever topic you want! My top book of the year was definitely Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood. Her writing has grown on me, especially for when I’m looking for a silly read to distract me from life, and this book is actually now my favorite of hers!” 

This year was remarkable for famed new releases. Authors like Rebecca Yarros, Rebecca Ross, and Stephanie Garber have become widely renowned on BookTok for their novels published in 2023. Ramapo junior Lucy Balaam states, “My favorite month for releases was definitely October or November. A Curse for True Love was so perfect, I read the whole thing in a few hours. I’m reading Iron Flame right now too, which came out in November, and am so obsessed. 2023 had so many great reads, and I hope everyone gets the chance to read at least one!” Here is a list of the top three new releases each month this year, as well as some highly anticipated books coming out later this month, as provided by GoodReads!

January

Spare by Prince Harry

Stolen Heir by Holly Black

Powerless by Lauren Roberts

February

Things We Hide from the Light by Lucy Score

The Housemaid’s Secret by Freida McFadden

The House of Eve by Sadeqa Johnson

March

Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano
Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson

Poverty, By America by Matthew Desmond

April

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros

Happy Place by Emily Henry

Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

May

Yellowface by R. F. Kuang

Meet Me at the Lake by Carley Fortune

The Ferryman by Justin Cronin

June

Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood

The Only One Left by Riley Sager

The Quiet Tenant by Clémence Michallon

July

One of Us is Back by Karen McManus

Hello Stranger by Katherine Center

A Soul of Ash and Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

August

Tom Lake by Ann Patchett

The Brothers Hawthorne by Jennifer Lynn Barnes 

The Invisible Hour by Alice Hoffman

September

Bright Young Women by Jessica Knoll

Holly by Stephen King

Rouge by Mona Awad

October

A Curse for True Love by Stephanie Garber

The Woman in Me by Britney Spears
King of Greed by Ana Huang

November

Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros

Check & Mate by Ali Hazelwood

Love Redesigned by Lauren Asher

December

The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon

Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross

The Mystery Guest by Nita Prose