Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Two-Decade-Old Cinematic Masterpiece

Hulu.com
Buddy the Elf from ‘Elf’

It’s hard for everyone to wrap their minds around Elf the movie turning two decades old this season, but grab your Buddy the Elf breakfast because our favorite character is back in town!

The popular Christmas movie Elf is returning back to theaters this year starting November 17th to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the movie released in theaters on November 7, 2003 (ABC27 News). ‘Elf’ is one of the most popular movies to watch around Christmas and every winter season, the ‘Elf’ spirit is brought back to life. According to USA Today, “As part of the 20th anniversary celebration, viewers can watch Elf on TBS and TNT this month, Warner Bros. Discovery said. The film will also stream in December on Hulu and Max, and all December long on the AMC channel.”

Buddy the Elf, played by Will Ferrel, was transported to the North Pole when he was just a child and grew up amongst Santa’s elves. For years Buddy knows he doesn’t fit in as he is much bigger than the rest and finally one Christmas, he travels to New York City dressed head to toe as an elf, to find his biological father. Buddy longs to create a relationship and bond with his father but this is proven difficult when it turns out, Buddy’s father is Walter Hobbs (James Caan), a dedicated businessman who doesn’t believe in the spirit of Christmas magic and lacks enthusiasm during the holiday season. Buddy navigates through this unfamiliar society that is New York City, while trying to build a bond with his father (Wikipedia.com). 

This heartwarming story and classic Christmas movie directed by Jon Favreau, written by David Berenbaum, produced by Jon Berg, Todd Komarnicki, and Shauna Robertson, has been adopted as an annual watch by many families. The return to theaters makes watching Elf a deja vu experience for some who experienced the movie the same way in 2003 (Wikipedia.com). 

Sophomore Emily Dyer explains her childhood bond to Elf, “Elf was one of my favorite Christmas movies and is nostalgic because I used to watch it with my family every Christmas Eve.” 

Since its original release date, Elf has been turned into numerous different works like the Broadway phenomenon Elf the Musical and many commercial toys, books, crafts, decorations and games. 

Chemistry teacher, Mr. Cramer is a fan of ‘Elf’ and has already watched it this season! He states, “‘Elf’ is a classic. I’ve actually watched it once already this holiday season with some friends. and it probably won’t be the last time I watch it this year. That being said, I don’t think I’ll be going to the theaters to watch. For me, holiday movies should be watched while surrounded by decorations in the comfort of your home with family and friends. I’m sure plenty of people will go see it in theaters but that’s just me.”

Buddy the Elf has become a universal symbol of Christmas almost as influential as Santa! Elf’s arrival back into theaters makes Christmas time even more merry and exciting for those looking forward to lounging back and watching the Christmas spirit unfold on the big screen.