Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

The Death of a Friend

Sadly, fans and friends had to deal with the great loss of the 54 year old star, Mattew Perry. He was a well known actor in many shows and movies, but was most famous for his role as Chandler Bing in Friends Matthew Perry passed away October 28, 2023 and was found by his assistant who called 911 (Salvoni).

Matthew Perry started his career in acting at 15 years of age and got his first hit at 25 filling the role of one of the main characters in Friends. Unfortunately, after years of drinking and drug use he dealt with a very difficult time where he struggled in and out of facilities for decades trying to find help and a way out of the addicted path his life went down (Traub, Stevens).

Lots of the Ramapo teachers and faculty remember “Chandler Bing’s” appearance as Mattew Perry became a huge hit overnight. Coach Szura says, “I think the death of Mattew Perry resonates so deeply with many fans. His character Chandler Bing was so beloved and relatable to so many generations of fans.”

After he seemed to pull himself out of this hole of addiction, he started to become more interactive with social media and grow back to being more of the “Chandler Bing” we all knew and loved. He was then found by the Los Angeles police department who reported that he was found unresponsive in the hot tub of his home after he had recently posted an image of him in the same hot tub earlier that week. Many actors and actresses were reportedly devastated by this loss and still are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the death of a true friend; especially Jennifer Aniston, who had been by Perry’s side, helping him lots with his addiction problems. (Webber).

“Perry also appeared in several other hits, including “Boys Will Be Boys,” “Growing Pains,” Beverly Hills, 90210,” “The West Wing” and “Scrubs.”” (Blankstein). After speaking to a few of the Ramapo seniors, it was noted, “Mattew Perry had a very familiar and friendly face, he was someone almost all TV watchers knew and loved for his ability to make the audience laugh.”  Perry’s career was fulfilled and he appeared in many roles but he still dealt with many hardships outside of his acting career. Throughout his 10 years on Friends, he was known for funny lines and good comebacks that caused the whole crew to laugh and ended up being some of the best one liners in the show that are still very famous and can be recognized anywhere. 

Still, there are many theories regarding the death of this actor, but as of right now it seems to be the death of a drowning accident. We will all miss the sarcastic actor and dear friend to many Mattew Perry, or as others knew him “Chandler Bing.” 

Matthew Perry after the show Friends completed their finale (The Rolling Stones)
Matthew Perry playing Chandler Bing in Friends. (NBC News)