The Postseason of the Underdog

WBUR.com
Marcus Semien (center) and the Texas Rangers celebrating their World Series win.

‘Til Next Spring!

That’s a wrap! The MLB 2023 season was odd, to say the least. With some big-money teams thought to rule the postseason, but not even making it to the October push and small-market teams thriving off great GM craftsmanship, it was a thrill to watch. In the end, the Texas Rangers took home the trophy winning the series four games to one. Despite its injuries, Texas had a star-studded lineup with a great offense and a pitching staff that still dominated the postseason. The team that was not so fortunate to win was the young guns from Arizona: The Diamondbacks. Arizona used their speed and youth to play some of the best small ball that’s been seen in years. Of course, a big market team like the Rangers won, but they were not among the top 5 favored teams to win it all once the Postseason started (Fanduel.com). And forget about the Diamondbacks, everyone ruled them out to even make the postseason! Needless to say, this year’s postseason was a wacky thriller. 

Everything’s Bigger and Better in Texas

The Rangers had some outrageous signings in recent years that helped propel them to this World Series win. With big-money signings of Marcus Semien and Corey Seager totaling half a billion dollars for the next 10 years (Espn.com), and taking a chance on the youngster Adolis Garcia, the Rangers had a deadly 1-2-3 punch of hitters in the batting lineup. Along with their hitting, the Rangers signed Max Scherzer to a monstrous contract and traded for other elite pitchers. Based on the spending, I guess the saying “Everything is bigger in Texas” is actually true.

Not only the contracts in Texas were crazy, but both Texas teams made it to the American League Championship Series. The Houston Astros were the challengers of the Rangers, and the series was arguably the biggest challenge to the Rangers’ road to champions. The Astros took them to seven games where the Rangers clobbered the Astros in the winner-takes-all game.

A One-Sided World Series

When both teams reached the infamous World Series, it looked like it would be a good series after both teams won a game apiece to begin tied at 1-1. However, the Rangers turned on the jets and won the next three games to win their first World Series in franchise history. Coach VanHook, volleyball coach and P.E coach at Ramapo exclaimed, “The playoffs were all over the place this year, so the World Series was bound to end with whichever team had a stronger run in October.” Corey Seager became the star of the World Series after hitting three homers in the five games. He took home his second World Series MVP, having one prior on the Dodgers back in their championship run during the 2020 season. He is the first player to ever win the award on two different teams and he is only 29! Senior and baseball player at Ramapo, Brandon Kirchner described the Rangers’ biggest strength in the World Series as “Corey Seager, and Corey Seager only.” The Rangers will be back and maybe better next season with Jacob Degrom coming off a UCL surgery and most key players locked in with their contracts to play in 2024. Until next spring!