King Charles III is Diagnosed with Cancer

Kin Cheung/BBC
King Charles III walking with his wife, Queen Camilla, with other family members at Christmas Day services in 2022 at St. Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham, Norfolk

Buckingham Palace has revealed that King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer at age 75. It was discovered that he had an enlarged prostate, however it was determined that he did not have prostate cancer. Buckingham Palace has not yet revealed the type of cancer he has (BBC). It was announced on January 17th that he would go to the hospital to undergo a “corrective procedure” for his prostate. He was diagnosed after receiving a check-up and experiencing symptoms while in Scotland. It was reported that he was feeling well after spending three nights at a private hospital near Regent’s Park in London (WBALTV)

Once the public heard the news, mass devastation spread amongst the people who watched and grew up with Charles being an important part of the royal family. “This is just devastating. When I heard the news I was beside myself,” says Amanda Lawrence, a junior at Ramapo. 

Charles decided to share his cancer diagnosis with the public to prevent speculation on his physical state, as well as “in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer,” according to an emailed statement written by Buckingham Palace. Before his reign, he supported various charities focused on those diagnosed and continued to speak publicly about his support for the patients, their loved ones, and the doctors who aided them (NBC)

Buckingham Palace has mentioned that King Charles’ planned arrangements and appointments will be postponed or canceled, along with an apology to anyone directly affected by this inconvenience. However, his wife, Queen Camilla, will continue to perform her duties without prevailing. The king will continue to fulfill his obligations even with his diagnosis (NBC)

Prince Harry, son of Charles and Princess Diana, is reported to travel to the United Kingdom to visit his father after being told of the diagnosis. He will be traveling with his wife, Meghan Markle (NBC). Prince William has been unable to visit his father since the announcement of the diagnosis, as he is supporting his wife, Kate, as she recovers from abdominal surgery (CBS).

From his name being recognized on the show The Crown to the controversies mentioned in multiple newspapers, King Charles III continues to be a name spoken about amongst the public of different people and countries. His reign and impact on the United Kingdom will continue to be recognized, and it is hoped that he faces a quick and effective recovery.