Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Ramapo’s Model UN Takes on AMUN

Mr. Verdon
Ramapo’s Model UN delegates at AMUN

On February first and second, Ramapo’s Model UN delegates attended the 25th annual Academic Conference at Bergen County Academies, more commonly known as AMUN. Hundreds of students from all around New Jersey attended, acting as part of numerous committees mirroring real ones that exist in the UN today. This year’s conference included DISEC, SOCHUM, ECOFIN, WHO, CSW, AU, and a crisis committee on the Trojan War. Groups like DISEC tackled the topic relating to the militarization of AI while others like ECOFIN proposed ways to combat global trade issues. Some groups like the AU had more localized topics such as migrant smuggling in Africa or the war on the Korean peninsula. 

Thanks to 50 Ramapo students who have joined Model UN, the club is the largest it has been in recent years. Mr. Verdon has been advising the club for the past four years and says that he has “enjoyed taking on this role and has seen the club improve as it continues to take on new members and activities.” 

Ramapo walked away with a total of seven awards this time around thanks to our amazing participants. Congratulations to freshmen Irdas Shehu and Finn McCarthy, sophomores Maverick Gomez and Saira Sandhu, juniors Sarah Taouafe and Hanne Loleng, and senior Gian Brar! Mr. Verdon expressed his delight by saying, “Writing position papers, conducting research, public speaking, and drafting resolutions can sound like daunting tasks, but Ramapo’s delegates took on these challenges in stride and walked out with several commendations and awards. I’m extremely proud of all who participated”. He also noted that the preparation beforehand helped students succeed as Ramapo and Indian Hills had their own practice conference in December chaired by club leaders. Our very own club leaders do not hesitate to guide each student through the process and provide an abundance of support, thereby bettering the Model UN experience. 

The Co-Presidents of Model UN this year are juniors Arielle Gomberg and Ignacio Guerra. When asked what her favorite part of being co-president was, Gomberg responded, “I have truly enjoyed leading in a way which ensures a collaborative and welcoming environment, while fostering friendships within our club to achieve the best results. My co-president, Ignacio Guerra, advisor Mr. Verdon, and I have had quite a successful year!

As a first-time Model UNer myself, I found AMUN to be quite overwhelming and intimidating at times, but the experience was extremely worth it in the end. I was able to meet wonderful people, learn how to think on my feet and be involved in a new environment.