Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Frenchy and Lois Was Take a Trip Down Ramapo Memory Lane

Lois and Frenchy Was at Lois’ Senior Prom
Lois Was

Frenchy and Lois Was are the quintessential example of true love. In August of last summer, Ramapo graduate Louis Was surprised her husband on his 80th birthday by bringing him to Ramapo to show him his plaque on the Athletic Hall of Fame, which he had never seen before. Ramapo Secretary, Ms. Puig, described the tour she helped give them: “It was a pleasure showing Lois and Frenchy Was around the school as they shared their fond memories and Po Pride … It was heartwarming to learn that they met at Ramapo over 60 years ago and have been together ever since. It’s evident that their school spirit is as strong as their commitment to each other.”

Frenchy Was was a talented athlete who played three sports at Ramapo, including football. The couple’s first date was at the Ramapo Football Victory Dance on November 27, 1959, a beloved event that took place after the Thanksgiving Day game.

Lois Was explained, “Frenchy was a year ahead of me, so he received many athletic offers from different colleges, but he didn’t want to go far away and leave me.” This new chapter in their lives did not prevent the two from being together, however. Frenchy continued his football career at Wagner College in Staten Island so that he could come home every Friday to be with Lois. Lois went on to explain how she also started attending Wagner College the following year and “took summer classes to graduate earlier.”

Ava Was, granddaughter of Frenchy and Lois and current Ramapo senior, explained, “After Ramapo, they got married and my grandfather served in the army during the Korean War. They moved from place to place during his time. They eventually moved back to Franklin Lakes and sent their two sons to Ramapo as well. It’s great being a third generation Ramapo student and I hope to continue the legacy.”

Frenchy and Lois Was’ love has remained incredibly strong since their first date 65 years ago, as well as their school spirit. Lois recalled how tight-knit her class at Ramapo was and still is: “My class had a five-year reunion … Then it became 10 years. We had to call off the 60th year because of Covid … We’ve been very strong.” 

To this day, these high school sweethearts remain happily married. If that doesn’t provide hope that true love exists, what does?

Frenchy and Lois visit the Ramapo Athletic Hall of Fame in August 2023 to see Frenchy’s plaque. Frenchy is wearing his football letterman sweater.
(Lois Watts)