Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

The Ramapo Girls Soccer Team is Definitely a Keeper!

Ramapo+Girls+Varsity+Soccer+Team+celebrating+their+3-0+win+against+Morris+Knolls+in+the+quarterfinal+State+Sectional+
Henry Horgan Productions
Ramapo Girls Varsity Soccer Team celebrating their 3-0 win against Morris Knolls in the quarterfinal State Sectional

With 14 wins, 2 tied games, and 4 losses, this year’s Ramapo Girls Soccer team is one for the records! The 2023-2024 girls’ soccer team has been a force to be reckoned with. With captains Bridget Carr in goal, Carolina Mosquera in midfield, Kate Langfelder playing forward, and Cassandra Tafuri Delvecchio who is sadly out from an early injury, they have led the team to the State Sectional finals. The team has an outstanding 71 total goals this season alone! With leading goal scorers Kate Langfelder (16 goals) and Abby Hendrickson (14 goals), the team has demonstrated their skills throughout the season (Highschoolsports.nj.com)

The team is led by Coach Maddie Gibbs who won her first state championship last year with the 2022-2023 Ramapo Girls Soccer team. Coach Gibbs inspires and invigorates the team to always play their best. She recently highlighted the challenges faced during this season, saying, “The 2023 girls soccer team had quite the transition. From losing three tough games in one week to making it to a state sectional final versus Northern Highlands. This group grew together #AsOne throughout the year, making memories that they will cherish forever. Being a senior on Ramapo Girls Soccer is so special because you remember the impact the older girls had on you and you want to leave that impact on the program after you leave.” Coach Gibbs speaks on the lessons she hopes the seniors have learned this past season and to, “cherish the bond you formed that will last a lifetime.” 

Despite the saddening loss to Northern Highlands in the State Sectional Finals with an end score of 2-1, the Ramapo Girls Soccer team had a tremendous season with incredible teamwork and soccer skills demonstrated in each game. Senior goalie Bridget Carr has made a total of 93 saves this season alone and is excited to continue her soccer career at Boston University. She speaks on the team this year saying, “This year was not easy, but we succeeded despite the difficulties. Our team is nothing if not persistent. In all my years, I have never met more hardworking players. I am so proud of each and every one of my teammates for the effort they put in day after day. As players and people, we have grown together. It has been an honor to play alongside them. It has been an honor to be their goalkeeper.” Senior year has been bittersweet for the goalkeeper, but Carr recognizes the special team she has played with and congratulates them on how far they have come. She continues to speak on the bright future this team has and the great memories she has made while on the team. 

Senior striker Kate Langfelder highlights their repeated team motto, “As we always said in the huddle, ‘Clear eyes, full heart, can’t lose.’” Kate believes that teamwork has had an enormous influence on their performance during games. As a team tradition on game days, the team carries a small octopus stuffed animal named Ollie. If a player ends the school day with Ollie, they have a punishment decided by the team. Fun traditions within the team including Ollie, pasta parties before game days, and listening to Christmas music before games help the team become closer and play as one.   

Although the season has ended, the seniors of the team are continuing their soccer careers at their respective colleges and the juniors are ready to lead the team next year! With a sad but well-played finale, the Ramapo Girls 2023-2024 Soccer season has come to an end.