You Shall Not Pass: Ramapo’s 300s/700s Doors Are Closed Off

Google Maps
Map including X of outdoor passage that was blocked off at Ramapo High School

You Shall Not Pass

With the new school year shifting back into gear, returning students at Ramapo have noticed a change while walking through the halls. During class meetings in the beginning week of school, it was announced by Ramapo’s administration that the outdoor walkway between the 300s and 700s hallways would be closed for safety issues from here on out. Many students were upset about this move because it was the only way they could get to class on time. However, after meeting with the staff of Ramapo, it appears as though this could be a good move regarding the school’s safety. 

According to Mr. Guido

This change is one that can prevent future dangers to the school. The general safety of the school is considered to be in jeopardy when the doors between these two hallways are opened. In an interview with Mr. Guido, I was told that anywhere between 60-100 kids would walk through that cut-through at a time! He went on to say, “The building is a safer place without the usage of this passage.” He stated there is no permanent plan for this as it is still up in the air whether or not this will remain. Currently, the change is being monitored to see if the pros outweigh the cons of this decision.

Pros and Cons

The benefits, of course, have to do with safety. With 175 school shootings since 2018, it is urgent that the administration keeps Ramapo a safe community (EdWeek). The main disadvantage to this move is the increase in people being late to class. Ramapo’s four minute timer to get from one class to another can be tight for some heading across the school. Mr. Guido did state that teachers, however, have been notified to hold leniency to the students who are late to their class because of the change. The passage between these two hallways allowed much time to be cut from making an S shape on the hike throughout the building. 

Ending Thoughts

According to Mr. Guido, the student body has been co-operative with this change. However, students are optimistic that this will be temporary, as their swiftness from class to class has been effected. Sophomore at Ramapo, Jed Silverman stated that, “When you hit rock bottom, the only way is up.” What Jed means is that the situation is currently the worst for some who will be late for important classes, but improvising and moving across the school swiftly will be an adaptation many will take. I think I can speak for all of Ramapo by saying that this decision is one where a convenience is taken away, but for our safety and well being, it is ultimately necessary.