Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

The Tortured Poets Department: A Huge Milestone in Music History

Los Angeles Times

Taylor Swift’s musical prowess was celebrated at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards on February 4th, 2023. She clinched two of the most prestigious awards: Best Pop Vocal and Album of the Year for Midnights. This recognition of her talent left fans and music enthusiasts eagerly awaiting her next move, and she didn’t disappoint. In a moment that had everyone on the edge of their seats, she announced the upcoming release of a double album, The Tortured Poets Department, a project she had been passionately working on since 2022. Swift shared on her Instagram: “I’d written so much tortured poetry in the past two years and wanted to share it all with you.” 

The album, released by Republic Records on April 19, 2024, is already creating a buzz of excitement. The Tortured Poets Department is a profoundly personal exploration of love, loss, and self-discovery, inspired by Swift’s own experiences and the works of her favorite poets. The album, often referred to as TTPD by fans, is a musical journey consisting of 31 songs, offering a total listening time of one hour and five minutes. One of the standout tracks is “Fortnight,” featuring Post Malone, which has already amassed over 250,000,000 plays (Spotify). The Tortured Poets Department departs from Swift’s previous albums, embracing a more experimental and introspective realism. This change in style has intrigued her fans and the music community and sparked a sense of curiosity about the new direction of Swift’s music. 

Critics have the most to say about the unique lyrics and melodies Swift developed. Freshman Evangeline Caroll, an enthusiastic fan of Swift since age five, comments, “I loved the album as it was composed of fun songs to dance to, but also sad melodies to cry to. It was one of Taylor’s best albums, lyric-wise, and is one of my favorites now.”

Another fan, a Ramapo English teacher, excitedly comments, “Her new album was captivating and unique. I see it making big numbers on the chart in the very near future.” Other fans have admired the album, praising its emotional depth and how it resonates with their experiences. These reactions from fans highlight the album’s broad appeal and its ability to connect with diverse audiences. 

Taylor Swift’s new album includes some surprising collaborations, including Post Malone and Florence and the Machine. These collaborations bring a fresh perspective to the album, adding new layers to the music and showcasing Swift’s versatility as an artist. 

Taylor performed The Tortured Poets Department live for the first time on May 9th during a portion of the famous Eras Tour. Swift performed seven songs from the album, including “Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me,” “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart,” and “Down Bad” (Forbes). The performance displayed Swift’s musical talent and stage presence, leaving fans in awe. Many fans eagerly anticipate more album performances, hoping to experience the raw and emotional feelings live. 

The Tortured Poets Department is not just a testament to Taylor Swift’s artistry and evolution as a musician. It’s a testament to the power of music to bring people together, to tell stories, and to evoke emotions. Through this album, she continues to push boundaries and connect with listeners, making it a noteworthy addition to her impressive discography. The album’s impact on listeners is not just significant. It’s profound, with many expressing how it has moved them and deepened their connection with Swift’s music, creating a ripple effect in the music community.