Senior Spotlight: Cayla Menicola

January 20th, 2024 - Ramapo Girls basketball team photo, celebrating Cayla’s 1000 points.
NJ.com
January 20th, 2024 – Ramapo Girls basketball team photo, celebrating Cayla’s 1000 points.

Cayla Menicola is an extraordinary basketball player and an even better teammate. Menicola’s passion for basketball and her fantastic personality will not go unnoticed. Menicola is a dedicated and talented athlete who will mark Ramapo’s history. 

Cayla’s journey in basketball began when she was around six years old. Starting as a young, excited player, she quickly rose to the top. When it comes to basketball, Cayla says that she, “can’t remember my life without it.” While it is not easy being an athlete, Cayla has succeeded in every way. Being an athlete involves persistence, stubbornness, and determination, all of which Cayla exudes. Cayla is a key team player, leading her team and herself to victories, such as her recent achievement of scoring 1000 career points. Cayla reached this total during her game versus Wayne Hills on January 20th. She considers her position a stretch forward, meaning she can shoot and comfortably play further from the basket like a guard. Coaches and teammates praise Cayla’s ability to help the team score points and inspire and motivate those around her. Coach Gordon, Ramapo’s girl’s basketball coach, describes Cayla as “a terrific leader for our team.” She also says that she “is a pleasure to coach!” Her contribution to the team is not overlooked, as many of her teammates commend her role. 

Basketball is not a single-person sport, and Cayla has a team like many others. A basketball team consists of girls who would have each other’s backs any time of day. Cayla’s team helps each other build up their confidence. When interviewing her teammate, Ella Saxton, she says, “Cayla is one of the nicest people I know! She is hardworking, and playing with her has been so much fun. She is a great basketball player but an even better teammate and friend!” 

Cayla advises younger aspiring athletes like she once was. She says, “My main advice for future players would be to play with a lot of confidence! Believing in yourself and the work you’ve put in is one of the most important things; it’s tough to be successful with no confidence.” 

As the final buzzer sounds on the last year of Cayla’s high school basketball career, the memories and lessons learned on the court undoubtedly stay with her and inspire those who witness her remarkable journey.

Works Cited: 

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2024/01/menicola-scores-her-1000th-ramapo-rolls-over-wayne-hills-girls-basketball-recap.html