Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Senior Spotlight: Kate Langfelder

NJ.com
Kate Langfelder battles for the ball against an opposing player

Kate Langfelder is a well-rounded soccer player who has been on the Ramapo Girls Varsity Soccer Team for three years and has been chosen as a captain for the 2023-24 season. As of October 2, 2023, the team has won eight games, tied against nationally-ranked Ridgewood, and only has one loss against Ramapo’s rival Northern Highlands (NJ.com). The Lady Raiders won a state title last year, and have a chance to become champions once again with Langfelder as captain. 

“Kate has a great vision of the field and overall game IQ,” says Maddie Gibbs, head coach of the Ramapo Girls Varsity Soccer team. “She works hard to distribute the ball to set her teammates up for success. She is a leader on and off the field and has set a bar for the program.” 

Her impact as a starting center midfielder has been a major asset to the team. She currently has a total of 28 goals from her past three years (NJ.com), but this number will continue to rise. Just this year she has already scored seven goals and has one assist. 

Langfelder has received many awards and titles for the presence she brings to her club team as well. She was a part of the ECNL North Atlantic All-Conference Teams and was titled a “standout” for multiple of her club games (Top Drawer Soccer). She has earned first team all league, first team all county, and all-state honors while also on an All-American watch list. 

Her career started at NJ Crush when she was four years old. She continued to develop her skills  and became a star player. She now plays at the prestigious club PDA (Player Development Academy), known for their players committing to major colleges. Her team travels all around the world to play against the most challenging teams at tournaments. It was sophomore year when she was chosen to play at the varsity level during the high school season, and ever since then, she has been a consistent player every season. Her goofy personality and kindness just makes her more fit to be the captain of the team this year. Bridget Carr, senior and another captain of the varsity team says that “Kate has always been an incredible leader because she has always exceeded expectations. This year, she has stepped up in important moments on and off the field. She has grown to be a strong, skillful captain, and her work rate is second to none. I love her as a player and a person, and I know she will take us further than we’ve ever gone this year. 

“Since starting soccer in kindergarten,” Kate says, “I have grown to love it even more as I practice to improve my skills and play in more competitive leagues. Being a part of a team that’s focused on winning and working together is very fun and provides me with positive lessons that progress me as a player.”

Next year she is expected to do great things at Xavier University, ranked #29 in the nation (NCAA); she will not only play soccer, but also study at the college’s business school. Langfelder has consistently been a solid and excellent player on the field, and will definitely continue that even after her Ramapo career.