New and Improved: Ramapo Girls Flag Football

Alexa Lora, Staff Writer

During a very busy spring season, Ramapo’s newest addition, the Girls Flag Football Team, opened their season this past Tuesday in a game against PCTI. To show support, tons of Ramapo fans and students wore black. This game would be the girls’ first, and although nervous, the girls walked onto the field with strength and confidence. Alexa Lora began the game with a touchdown receive from quarterback Maddie Kellogg to lead Ramapo 6-0. In the second half of the game, touchdowns from offensive Captain Arielle Zane and Brianna Braver shortened PCTI’s lead. Strong efforts from the Flag Football girls’ defense led by Madison Ciurciu and Lindsay Arone challenged the PCTI girls and held them down. However, in the end, the girls were unable to break the point deficit. Despite this, Coach Shemon and Captain Arielle Zane maintained positive mindsets, “the most important thing we take away from tonight, is that there’s room to get better and grow stronger”, explained Coach Shemon. The girls now await their next game against Dickinson on Wednesday, May 5th.

Ramapo’s new flag football team has high expectations for the future. Making history, these girls continue to work hard daily and advance in skill, technique, and mindset. From training at the NY Jets Clinic to early-morning practices, the girls hope to make it to MetLife and represent Ramapo High School on the field. Huge things await! Check on Schoology for schedule updates to watch and support Ramapo Girls’ Flag Football.

Ramapo Girls’ defensive lineup coming off the field after an amazing stop that prevented PCTI from gaining a far lead. (Source: Sophia Katsouris)