Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

The Truth of Little Saint James Outlined: Jeffrey Epstein Documents

Image of financier Jeffrey Epstein appearing in court 2008  Photo by Uma Sanghvi/Palm Beach Post via Reuters
PBS NewsHour
Image of financier Jeffrey Epstein appearing in court 2008 Photo by Uma Sanghvi/Palm Beach Post via Reuters

Little Saint James, located in the United States Virgin Islands, is a beautiful area in the Caribbean that unfortunately holds a not so beautiful history to its name. 

Jeffery Epstein, an American financier and convicted sex offender used this private island to create a sex traffic ring involving many high-profile politicians and individuals. Many brave victims of Epstein’s horrifying international ring spoke out and made their voices heard about their traumatic experiences being dehumanized and used by disgusting people. Although Jeffery Epstein was arrested for these crimes, his sudden suicide behind bars allowed the case to be dismissed without Epstein facing payment for his criminal activity and unjustifiable actions in 2019 (CNN). 

Recently, dozens of previously sealed documents were released to the public, and with that, came discussion and shock because of the revealed accomplices and people involved (APNews). Now, all this new information has run rampant on social media, causing widespread knowledge about the more confidential side of the case. With the spread of this information, there are rumors and false information that are also being repeated (APNews). 

Sophomore Kirsten Seyffer says, “Jeffery Epstein was a terrible person, and the crimes he committed were atrocious.  The documents that were recently released were extremely shocking.” Many individuals agree that Epstein’s acts are dehumanizing and cause unforgivable trauma to those young girls who fell victim. 

The bravery of these women and girls is very impressive. Virginia Guiffre is an avid speaker on Epstein’s crimes, as she is a victim of sexual abuse herself. 

The following was stated in CBS News: “The release of the names stems from a now-settled defamation lawsuit brought in 2015 by Virginia Giuffre, who accused British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell of enabling her abuse by Epstein.”

Jeffery Epstein’s criminal actions are extremely detrimental to these young women, including Guiffree. The courage of ordinary people to speak out against powerful, connected, and well known individuals is very inspiring to all victims of any inhumane actions.  

Sophomore Jackson Rijo says, “Epstein simply put, was a horrible person. I can’t imagine what the parents of the victims must feel.” Many express sympathy towards the victims who got objectified and used for the horrible benefit of these individuals as well as their families who experienced major trauma as well. 

Guiffre said she was lured away from her job as a spa attendant at Trump’s Mar-a-lago club to become a “masseuse” for Epstein. While there, she was forced into sexual acts against her will (APNews). 

Britain’s Prince Andrew was also named multiple times throughout these documents. He was an acquaintance of Epstein’s and settled a lawsuit with Virginia 

Guiffre accused both men of sexually assaulting her as a teenager. According to CBS News, “In a court filing at the time, his attorneys said, ‘Prince Andrew regrets his association with Epstein, and commends the bravery of Ms. Giuffre and other survivors in standing up for themselves and others.’” 

The document released on January 3, 2024 includes a list of 184 John Does. This list includes innocent people who might have worked on the island, or who had gone to Epstein’s home for dinner parties. 

Bill Clinton was referred to in the documents due to him being on one of Epstein’s private jets. Clinton denied any knowledge of Epstein’s crimes, however, he was noted in Sjoberg’s deposition. She said that Epstein mentioned that “Clinton likes them young, referring to girls” (CBS News). 

The Epstein documents provide more accounts on the convicted felon and also bring information to help support many claims made against Jeffery Epstein and his criminal activity. 

The Netflix documentary, Jeffery Epstein: Filthy Rich provides the storyline and detailed account of the disastrous events that happened on Little Saint James.  

Jeffery Epstein’s actions are unforgivable and some argue that he never received a proper punishment for the lives he ruined and the inhumane sex-trafficing ring he led. Because he committed reprehensible crimes, it’s important to learn and educate ourselves on these issues to have empathy for those who have fallen victim. 

Works Cited:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/29/us/jeffrey-epstein-criminal-case-dismissed/index.html 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/10/us/jeffrey-epstein-death/index.html 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey-epstein-list-names-released-unsealed-documents/ 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/what-we-know-so-far-about-the-jeffrey-epstein-documents