Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Senior Spotlight: Logan Goldsmith

Ramapo Wrestling Instagram
Logan (middle) On Senior Night

As February comes to a close, so has the end of a successful Ramapo wrestling season. After two months, Ramapo has boasted an impressive 12-10 record, cruising into their first back-to-back winning seasons in years. Helping lead the charge for the team and the 175 lb weight class was Ramapo student senior and wrestler Logan Goldsmith.

Logan’s wrestling journey started 4 years ago during his freshman year. Coming out of a lazy Covid year, Logan was eager for something to do and turned to wrestling as that outlet. It didn’t take long for Logan to pick it up, and realize it was something he was truly passionate about. Logan worked hard, and eventually made his varsity debut his junior year, wrestling in the 144 lb weight class, and scoring a win over Sparta wrestler Joey Ponte after a 1:14 pin. Logan continued to work outside of school, bulking up and working out during the off-season. When asked about his routine, Logan stated, “During the offseason, I like to lift weights and mix in bits of cardio consisting of both distance runs and short-term sprints. I also go to a wrestling club during preseason to prepare.” His work clearly paid off, and Logan entered his senior season wrestling at 175lbs. 

Logan posted an impressive senior season, helping Ramapo win countless matches. When asked about his joy for the sport, Logan stated, “I love both the physical and mental aspects of it. When you’re on the mat your team can’t help you, and it really just comes down to how much you put in and how much you’re willing to fight for it. In the end it shows just how resilient everyone who steps on the mat is.” Logan, along with fellow senior wrestlers Wyatt Jacobs, Matt Shokoff, and Nathan Gurland, surely put this to the test and helped the whole team in their season and progression. When speaking on both Logan and his team, Ramapo wrestling coach Mr. DiMauro stated, “Throughout his 4 years Logan has worked hard to improve and now he is a strong, confident senior captain and has contributed many great individual wins towards the success of the team.  Three years ago we only won 5 matches as a team, but this year we won 12 which helped us to secure a League Championship as well as a County Group B Championship.  Logan was a vital part of all these team accomplishments.” In February of this year, Logan qualified for the NJSIAA District 3 sectionals. However, after making it through the first 2 rounds, Logan suffered an unfortunate loss in the semifinals to bring his season to a close. 

Thank you Logan, and we wish you, Matt, Wyatt, and Nathan the best of luck in your future endeavors.