Ramapo Boys Ice Hockey Team

Henry Horgan Productions
Ramapo Boys Hockey after scoring a goal to get them in the lead during the Ridge game

The Ramapo Boys Ice Hockey Team of 2024 has had a long season filled with ups and downs. The games have had great back-to-back scoring and close scores up to the final minute. The boys have won 12 games, lost 11, and tied 1 for the Big North league as they headed into states. (NJ.com) After the Big North, they won their division and played in the league semifinals. 

With losing a few seniors last year, the captains had to step up with their game and pull the team together to have a chance to win it all. The captains for this year are Jackson Lont, Jonathan Kalpagian, Patrick Hogan, and assistant captain Max Simpson. 

The Ramapo hockey team was lucky to gain two new players this season: Niko Smilovic and Scott Vivinetto. Together, they helped the team earn 30 points in their season. (NJ.com) The captains have worked to come up with new plays and quick movements to help them get the puck into the goal. Their new black alternate jerseys, which were created by the captains, are placed on the players’ backs as they skate down the ice, pushing their way to try to defend and attack the puck. 

Season Stats

At the beginning of the hockey season, the Ramapo boys ice hockey team had a slow start with some hard losses. After they got into the groove of how to conquer, they entered the new year with a winning streak of six wins in a row. Sadly, after playing Highlands in counties, the team had a brutal loss. The team had to deal with multiple bad calls and one devastating shot that was counted as a goal under poor circumstances. However, this goal caused the rest of the Bergen County Tournament to have goal judges to help determine if a goal is good. Highlands skated down the ice and went for a wrap-around, as the goalie pushed across, hitting the far post. The net came off as the puck was saved in its shot. Then the puck was shot in again into the goal, where the net had been moved. Refs counted it since they did not see the shot or what happened to the net; pegs moved, waved, and played dead. Although they had some losses and close games they have also had many great games such as their game against Ridge where they made fantastic plays, great shots, and had good puck movement winning 5-3. (NJ.com)

Ramapo’s hockey team placed in states ranked as the number five seed and played West Morris Central in the first round, killing them with a score of 7-3 and bringing them into the quarterfinal round of states. Sadly, they played the number four seed, Ridgewood, and had a tough loss, ending their season with a score of 3-0. (NJ.com) Ridgewood’s goalie was off the charts, not letting in a single shot and saving each amazing shot the Ramapo team was taking. After the game, I spoke with one of the senior captains, Jackson Lont, who repeatedly said, “We didn’t lose to Ridgewood, we lost to Jack Scali [Ridgewood Goaltender].”

Stand Outs

In the last game of the season, their sophomore goalie, Luke L’Heureux, had a great game, saving so many shots that were being directed into the net. He was awarded the Athlete of the Month by the Bergen Record. (northjersey.com) Luke did a great job of helping the hockey team get to where they were with his unique goalie skill set and quick motions as he slid to save the puck. He ended this season with 668 saves and a .913% save percentage. (NJ.com) 

The team also had a new coach this year, Josh Lont, one of the captains’ fathers. He helped lead the team with the other coaches, Coach McLachlan, Coach Russo, and Coach Chen. Mr. Russo, the varsity and JV coach commented, “Our hockey players, as a whole, create a dominating presence. Three-time conference Champs! They work hard! Support and believe in each other.” 

Not only did the hockey team have a great season and good games that were fun to watch and kept you on your toes, but they also helped out with volunteering for the hockey qualifying Special Olympics. They had a field day where they were the cheerleaders helping to support the kids and skaters qualifying for the Special Olympics. They were supportive on and off the ice as they skated around, joining them on the rink or announcing and making the kids feel more vigorous in their skating abilities. 

Overall, the Ramapo Boys Ice Hockey team had a great season, playing fantastic games, and racing on the ice for a win. Although it was a sad ending, they still dominated the season and took on as many teams as possible. They played so many amazing games and had many wins under their belts. The seniors will be missed as they go off to college, and the rest of the team will prepare for next season, ready to go back out on the ice and play some hockey.