Goalies: The Undervalued Leadership Position

Antonio Spina Ramapo Boys varsity soccer goalie in action saving a goal!
NJ.com

“They could have saved that! Come on, how hard can it be?” These are comments most goalkeepers have heard at least once in their life. A goalie must lead the team on and off the field, defend the net, and recover quickly from a goal. Many goalkeepers have spent countless hours practicing their saves and honing their skills in preparation for the next game. 

Goalies are the last line of defense before the opposing team and it can be extremely daunting to be facing a striker or player one-on-one. Goalkeepers are known for their physical and emotional strength due to the hardships that come with the position. IDA Sports, a female-focused soccer cleat company, wrote a blog about the mental health control a goalkeeper must have. IDA underlines the stressors goalies go through on the pitch and how they are “often undervalued, this specialist position group gets all the heat when a goal goes in and rarely receives the praise they deserve. After conceding a goal, it can be difficult to get back to a good head space and continue helping your team get the win.” A goalkeeper must be able to shine under pressure and let go of past mistakes to continue the game with a clear head. If a goalie fails under pressure, the team loses its most important communicator and leader. 

Ramapo boys soccer coach Evan Baumgarten builds on the importance of goalkeepers as he highlights the quick and important choices goalies have to make. Coach Baumgarten has seen that the goalie position is one of leadership, intelligence, and athleticism. He has seen the varsity goalkeepers, Antonio Spina and Mike Latronica, demonstrate “all the characteristics of great goalkeepers.” Baumgarten goes on to talk about the pressure a goalie feels and says, “pressure is a privilege, and the position demands that you embrace the pressure.” Baumgarten agrees that the goalkeeper position is demanding, and goalies should fully embrace and use the pressure to their advantage. 

Bridget Carr, a senior at Ramapo and goalie for the girl’s varsity soccer team, has been playing soccer since she was five years old. Carr shares her challenges as a young goalie and the anger she felt when giving up a goal. She explains that she “almost ripped down the net because I let up a goal. We actually ended up winning that game, but I was still so angry with myself. For all my young goalkeepers: please don’t rip down the net. It’s alright to give up a goal.” Carr stresses the importance of mental stability as a goalie and describes how a goalie’s mood can truly affect the team as a whole and their performance. Carr uses her skills as a goalie to lead her team and build their confidence on and off the field. She understands the pressures of an athlete and helps many of her teammates with their confidence and skills. 

“In fact, it’s alright to give up two or three goals. When I was young, I measured my talent as a keeper by numbers–goals against, saves, etc… There is so much more to a goalkeeper, as a person and a player, beyond the books. I want the next generation of goalkeepers to understand this.” Carr is a mentor to all young goalies and spends her time teaching younger kids the goalie position. Carr has had a show-stopping senior year on the field with 110 saves in the 2023-2024 season and a total of 134 saves in her time at Ramapo. 

Ramapo boys lacrosse coach Stephen Harvey explains the unique position a goalkeeper plays in lacrosse. Coach Harvey explains that lacrosse and hockey have unique nets where players can play behind the net. For goalies, this means that you have to be watching players and defending the net from every angle. Coach Harvey highlights that the goalie is the “primary communicator on defense and needs to be an extension of the coach.” Coach Harvey explains that a great goalkeeper must be a communicator and also have great mental power to move on when a goal is scored, and still be able to lead the team. He describes the importance goalies have to the team because they work to instill confidence and motivate teammates. Coach Harvey goes on to compliment the Ramapo boys varsity lacrosse’s goalie, Patrick Hogan, for being “extremely dedicated and spends a ton of time refining his craft. He is fearless in the net and has grown in his ability to stop the ball and lead a defense.” The goalie is a position that protects the goal and other players. Most players can be very protective and defensive of their goalkeeper because of the impact they have on the team. 

Patrick Hogan, Ramapo senior and boys varsity lacrosse goalkeeper, has played goalie since third grade but did not plan to stay in the position originally. Hogan has learned a lot from his goalkeeper position and he says that consistency is very important because “you will have great days and bad days in the net. Also, not focusing on results as much as the process while playing. Meaning to grow and get better while still not letting shots going in affect you as a player.” Hogan was mentored and has been greatly inspired by the previous Varsity Lacrosse goalkeeper, Rory Premtaj, and says he was “a great leader and person, he showed me how to constantly stay focused and passionate towards winning, also he had the best drip on the field.” 

Similar to lacrosse, hockey goalkeepers must stay present on the ice because players are able to skate around the goal and can score from any angle. Mr. McLachlan, Ramapo varsity ice hockey coach, explains that an ice hockey goalie must stay present and take on a leadership role as “a goalie has the entire rink in front of them and with that vision they naturally take on a leadership role with the team on the ice.  Instructing game flow, relaying systems and directing players during breakouts and defensive zone coverage are all key aspects of the leadership role many goalies assume during the season.” Coach McLachlan compliments their varsity ice hockey goalie Luke L’Heureux, a sophomore at Ramapo, and his growth. Coach McLachlan says that L’Heureux has “worked hard and significantly increased his strength, confidence, reaction time and skill, and is considered one of the top goalies in North Jersey.” L’Heureux has grown his skills tremendously in just a year which has strengthened the ice hockey team. 

A goalkeeper has many jobs on and off the field, and a great goalkeeper instills confidence in their players and encourages them. Being a goalie is extremely difficult and requires great communication and skills. Many of our own Ramapo goalies are continuing to play after they leave Ramapo and are dedicated to their position. To all players, thank your goalies for their hard work and commitment!

Links:

Goalkeeper Mental Health – idasports.com 

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/the-underappreciated-genius-of-tim-howard