Senior Spotlight: Ryan Welch

Ryan Welch finishes in first place in the Group 3 boys 800-meter run at the North Jersey, Section 1, Group 2 & 3 Championships at Bennett Center in Toms River on Friday, February 3, 2023.
Jon Jones NJ.com

As winter sets in, so does Ramapo track and field. Leading the charge is Ramapo student-athlete Ryan Welch. Ryan is a long-distance runner for Ramapo’s track and field program, specializing in the 800m, 1600m, and 4x400m races. From a young age, Ryan’s focus was as a soccer player. Coming into freshman year, Ryan started running as a requirement for the Ramapo soccer team, which required players to complete a series of timed long-distance runs for tryouts. From there, Ryan discovered his true passion; running. 

Realizing his talent, Ryan joined the track program in the winter of his sophomore year, where he immediately found his niche. He started running in and outside of school, quickly excelling. In his junior year, Ryan completed the 800m (½ mile) race in a time of 1:56.77 seconds, the second fastest time an 800m race has been done by a Ramapo student (NJAthletic.net). With one more year to go, the sky’s the limit for Welch as this is a record that he hopes to beat. Seeking to continue his pursuit of year-round running, Ryan also made the switch from soccer to cross country in the fall of this year. In his first year, Ryan ran the 5,000m in an impressive 16:36:00, the sixth fastest it’s ever been done. When asked about his progress, Ryan stated, “I just like to keep moving forward one step at a time. It’s something I’ve come to love to do both in and out of school, and I intend to continue pushing myself to my limits.”

This certainly won’t be a problem, as Ryan plans to continue both his academic and running career at Providence College, where he will be a member of their track and field team. When asked about Ryan’s rapid improvement, Ramapo teacher and track coach Mr. Nangle stated, “Since Sophomore year Ryan has become more confident in his event and knows what he has to do to win. The growth continues and we can’t wait to see what he does his senior year.” Ryan’s impact has not only had an effect on the field but on the team as a whole. Ryan has stood out as a leader, guiding his underclassmen peers, and providing a presence that will most definitely be missed both on and off the track field. 

Congratulations Ryan and we all wish you the best of luck at Providence and throughout your future endeavors!