Ramapo Fishing Club Co-President Tristan Walder’s best catch in the club this year.

Ramapo Fishing Club

New Beginnings
In 2020, a pair of seniors at Ramapo had an image– a club that would represent one of the most intuitive, yet underrepresented hobbies: fishing. Through hard work and hours of planning to get the club passed, the two young men worked hard to make a club for any given student at Ramapo to join. The first proposition was where to fish. The plan was set on that the club would begin as bank fishing exclusively, or to only fish from the shore. Eventually, the plan was to go on charters and boats which the club has now opened its horizons to. Regardless of the techniques, gear, and fish targeted, the main goal was to have fun! For many, fishing is an escape, so the key mission of this club was and continues to be for students to share a fun hobby together.

The Escape
For many, fishing provides an enthusiastic attitude like no other. Mr. Russo, the lead advisor for the club and teacher at Ramapo, stated, “Fishing is an extremely popular sport where patience and persistence are leading traits that shape a lifetime angler. When that fish bites, the adrenaline surge is great!” For many, the mere act of dropping the line into the water is what allows one to escape from any stress they feel and bring wellness to one’s mind. Once someone catches their first fish, they are hooked. The tight line pulling against the rod bent all the way shoots dopamine into any given person holding that rod.

Come Join!
The club is still present in Ramapo and thriving. Co-Presidents Tristan Walder and Brennan Fitteron show love for fishing just like the founding presidents and have much knowledge about any type of fishing. Want to know how to catch a fish without a rod? They got you covered. Want to know how to catch a massive trout or salmon fly fishing? Brennan will get you on the biggest one you could think of. Senior at Ramapo, Kevin O’Neill even calls it the catching club: “It’s a great group of fishers when there’s a great group of fish to be caught” If you don’t want to fish right out of the gate, the Fishing Club also provides meetings of just merely storytelling of the biggest fish and most fun adventures all the members have had. Tight Lines!