Alleged Killer of Tupac Finally Been Found

Raymond Boyd/Getty Images
Tupac Shakur in 1994 performing in Chicago. Two years later, he was murdered in Las Vegas

After years of speculation and unanswered questions, justice has finally been served in the case of rapper Tupac Shakur’s 1996 murder. The murder of Tupac Shakur, one of the most influential figures in hip-hop history, has remained unresolved for over two decades.

However, new developments have brought closure to this high-profile case as the murderer of Tupac has recently been arrested and charged. This significant breakthrough in the investigation comes as a relief to fans, family, and friends who have long awaited justice for Tupac’s untimely death. The alleged murderer, whose identity has been released publicly as Duane “Keffe D” Davis, was recently arrested based on new evidence that emerged during a reexamination of the case. Duane was one of the last living witnesses of the fatal shooting and was charged with murder with the use of a deadly weapon (ApNews). He is being held without bail until the beginning of his scheduled trial on June 3, 2024. This breakthrough in the Tupac murder case highlights the importance of continuing to seek justice. Many people speculated that Suge Knight, who was one of the founders of Death Row Records and is now in prison for 28 years for voluntary manslaughter in another case, had a huge role in Tupac’s death (CNN). Ramapo science teacher Mr. Tuohy was asked how he felt about the situation and he stated, “Tupac is one of the pioneers and all-time greats in the rap game so to finally have an answer after all the theories and mystery through all these years, is awesome to see.”

Twenty-one-year-old Orlando Anderson, the nephew of Davis, was also in the backseat with Davis but cannot be punished as he later died in a gang-related shooting in 1998.  

In 2009, Davis came out more than a decade later after Tupac’s death and described how he had a major role in the shooting. He told police how he, Knight, and Anderson were involved in the scene. However, because Davis’ description was made in accordance with a “proffer agreement,” Kading told CNN on Friday that his statement could not be used as proof. A proffer is an arrangement wherein a suspect consents to divulge information that could be helpful to investigators, but the remarks they make are typically not admissible as proof against them (CNN). When asked about how he felt about Tupac’s murderer finally being convicted Ramapo Senior Ben Fischer stated, “I feel relieved that they found and convicted the person that murdered a legend in the rap game. It’s a big step for the rap community.”

It is extremely uncommon for a case of murder to be solved almost three decades later. Duane Keith Davis is now 60 years old and facing the consequences of a crime he played a major role in his young adulthood. Whatever the reason he fully exposed the information to get himself a life in prison may be, it is sure that fans are relieved to find out who murdered their favorite star after all these years.