You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah

today.com
Adam (left), Sunny (center), and Sadie (left) Sandler in March, 2023 in Paris

Netflix recently released the movie You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah. The movie follows the story of two best friends, Stacy Friedman and Lydia Rodriguez Katz, played by Sunny Sandler and Samantha Lorraine. The two girls have both always dreamed of having the most amazing Bat Mitzvahs. When school, drama, and boys begin to come between them, it threatens their dreams and their friendship (Netflix.com).

The film was directed by Sammi Cohen and written by Alison Peck and Fiona Rosenbloom. Rosenbloom is the author of the novel that the movie is based upon; her real name is Amanda Stern (Fiona Rosenbloom is a pseudonym) (IMBd.com).

Sophomore Elise Mulligan states, “It was a great movie because I loved Adam Sandler’s actual daughters acting with him.” Adam Sandler and his two real-life daughters, Sunny Sandler and Sadie Sandler, all star in the movie. Sadie plays Stacy’s older sister, Ronnie, and Adam plays their father. It should also be noted that Jackie Sandler, Adam’s wife, plays the role of Gabi, Lydia’s mom (Netflix.com).

The movie follows the girls as they attempt to prepare themselves for their Bat Mitzvahs; however, when Lydia kisses the boy that Stacy likes, their friendship begins to crumble. The story shows great strength and character development as the two girls attempt to save their relationship and continue to focus on their studies. As stated by Ramapo English teacher, Mr. Basili, “This movie captures life in those middle school years: The desire to fit in and be popular, the self-consciousness, and the overwhelming emotions that often get the best of you, all while having to prepare for your bat mitzvah! Here people are given a behind-the-scenes look at all the work, worry, and passion that goes into putting a bar/bat mitzvah together. This movie has some good laughs and a lot of heart and I really enjoyed it!”

Overall, “You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah” is an excellent movie about the struggles of young teens, and challenges that they may need to overcome.