Painting The School As A Goodbye: Senior Art Murals

Lindsey Morrison, Editor-In-Chief (23-24), Online Editor (22-23)

Painting murals around the school has been a long time Ramapo tradition. The murals around the school are famously known by students and teachers and they even help freshmen find classes around the school! Painting a mural on the school walls is a privilege for Ramapo AP Art seniors as their mural will stay on the walls until a future student paints over them. Currently, there are around 25  murals in Ramapo High School, with 9 students painting new murals during the last 2 months of school. AP Art students begin planning and developing their mural sketches in March. The murals must include a quote and an illustration that goes with the quote, these sketches are then approved by the Principal and the Board of Education.  Future AP Art student Meredith Roughgarden speaks on the importance of the senior murals, “I love walking the halls and seeing the murals. It’s fun to see murals painted by old friends and I hope to leave my mark on the school next year!”

AP Art teacher Mr. Quirk gives high praise to this year’s AP art students as he states, “Some of the most artistically talented students I have ever taught in my twenty years as an art teacher are in this class. I could not be prouder of these students and their accomplishments.” Mr. Quirk is incredibly proud of his current AP art students and cannot wait to see what they accomplish next! Mr. Quirk loves the tradition of painting murals as it “brightens the walls with creativity.”