Relay for Life 2022

Event of Relay for Life with poster “Celebrate [life]”

Photo courtesy of ACS

Madison Elliott, Editor in Chief

Communities all across the world have come together for more than 35 years to honor and remember loved ones while also taking action for lifesaving change. Even in the face of COVID-19’s hurdles, Relayers have found a way to raise money for a cancer-free future. Relay for Life urges members of the public to join the movement and sign up to help save lives. Relay For Life may not look the same as it did in the past, but the passion and devotion are the same. Anyone, from anywhere, may now join the Relay community in more ways than ever before.

Relay For Life is asking its supporters to get involved by joining a Relay community, either virtually or in person, to connect with other cancer survivors, caregivers, and others affected by the disease, and to donate to help fund the future. The American Cancer Society’s fight against cancer is fueled by every dollar donated.

Staff and volunteers from the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN), the Relay for Life’s advocacy partner, are working with federal, state, and local governments to lobby for cancer patients and their families.

Relay for Life supports participants in the American Cancer Society’s continuing Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3) are assisting researchers in tracking symptoms and identifying the immediate effects of the COVID-19 outbreak, including how COVID-19 affects cancer patients and survivors.

Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society strive to ensure that everyone may benefit from advances in cancer research, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. Everyone deserves a fair and equal chance to avoid, detect, treat, and survive cancer. The Relay event is set to take place on May 13th, as a 12 hour event at Indian Hills High School. Join now to help fund cancer research, and in this year’s “Cowboy theme”, give cancer the boot!

Leann Lebov, Relay For Life Advisor was asked “what is Relay for life at RIH?” and she responded that “Relay For Life is the largest fundraising event in the world and the signature fundraising event for the American Cancer Society. Fighting cancer takes many things like research, free rides to chemo and lodging near hospitals, and a 24 hour help line to support cancer patients and their families. All year we raise money through a variety of fundraisers, and on Relay night we walk the track for 12 hours taking turns with our teammates, we celebrate cancer survivors and remember those we have lost, staying true to the common goal of finding a cure for cancer.”

Maggie Wilson, Indian Hills senior and on the Presidents Board on Relay for Life, was asked “What is the event going to look like this year?”Maggie responded that “This year, our event is cowboy themed, with the slogan “Give Cancer the Boot”. The event will be at Indian Hills High School from May13th – May 14th. Each team is dressed to the theme with bandanas and cowboy hats. We will have games, a DJ, zumba, and other events throughout the night as teams walk the track. Our goal for this year is to raise $75,000.00, after not having a Relay event for two years due to Covid-19.” 

From the question: Why did you join Relay for Life and why would you recommend others to come to the event/join the club in the upcoming year? She replied: ”I joined Relay for life because it was brought to my middle school by the Lebov Family. It seemed like a super fun event, and I know so many people personally who have had cancer, or been affected by it. I wanted to join to “do my part” in a sense. Relay has taught me so much and I wouldn’t be the person I am today without it. I would recommend others to come to the event, or to join the club (because you don’t have to be in the club to participate in the event), because of the experiences you will have throughout it. I connected with people from ESPN to sponsor our event, I planned fundraisers, and made connections with cancer survivors. This club gave me leadership skills, allowed me to give back to my community through service hours, and helped me understand just how many people are affected by cancer and the impact I was making. This event brings our community together and helps us do our part in the fight against cancer.”