Scarlett Johansson’s Lawsuit Against Disney

JAY MAIDMENT/MARVEL STUDIOS

Scarlett Johansson playing Natasha Romanoff in “Black Widow”

Addi Palmer, Online Editor

The Marvel Cinematic Universe(MCU) is one of the greatest film franchises of all time. As of August 2021, the MCU series was the highest-grossing film franchise with total worldwide box office revenue of 22.93 billion U.S. dollars. “Avengers: Endgame” (2019) was Marvel’s highest-grossing movie with 2.8 billion dollars in global revenue. Since 2021 began Marvel fans all over the world have been gifted with some very exciting news. Marvel recently released four original TV series “WandaVision” starring Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Kathryn Hahn, Teyonah Parris, and Randall Park, a fan favorite. Along with that the MCU released “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”, “Loki”, and an animated series known as “What If?” Phase four of the MCU has gotten off to a great start with the announcement of these four series as well as some new movies coming out. Black Widow stars Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbor, and Rachel Weisz. Black Widow follows Natasha Romanoff’s life after Civil War as she reconnects with her family after many years. But not only was this movie a shock to the fans, it was a shock all around. This movie led to Johansson making a lawsuit against Disney. Multiple actors have spoken about Johnansson’s lawsuit. Elizabeth Olsen voiced support for her “Avengers” co-star Scarlett Johansson amid her ongoing “Black Widow” lawsuit against Disney.
“I think she’s so tough and literally when I read that I was like, ‘Good for you Scarlett,’” Olsen said in a joint Vanity Fair interview with Jason Sudeikis. Olsen wasn’t the only Marvel co-star to speak up. Benedict Cumberbatch, who portrays the role of Doctor Stephen Strange, addressed the situation as well.
“It’s sad what’s going on between the lawyers, […] Just the verbiage and the accusations of, ‘Put it in a global pandemic context.’ The whole thing’s just a bit of a mess,” Cumberbatch said. Scarlett’s lawsuit has also sparked interest amongst Marvel fans at Ramapo Miss. Trela, a chemistry teacher said “At first it was pretty fair, because she signed a contract, filmed the movie and they didn’t tell her it was going to be put on Disney+, so this was fair. Fight for what you believe”. We also asked Lauren Fliessner, a sophomore, she said “From what they wrote she got the money but it was bad because they went against her contract, so yes I believe that her decision was right”