2024 NHL Playoffs

2024 Stanley Cup Playoff bracket (NHL.com)

The 2024 NHL playoffs have officially begun. Has your team made it to the playoffs this year? So far in the Eastern Conference, some teams are still going strong and some teams still have to prove they can hold their own. The same goes for the Western Conference as the 2023 Stanley Cup champions, The Vegas Golden Knights, have officially been eliminated from the first round and will not continue through the playoffs (NHL.com). 

With a strong fan base, the Toronto Maple Leafs faced a typical yet devastating loss and are still yet to break the curse of the playoffs. They were eliminated within the first round after a 2-1 overtime loss in game seven against the Boston Bruins. This was their fourth year losing in game seven against the Bruins (NHL.com). They were also missing two crucial players who contributed to the team throughout the regular season, William Nylander and Auston Matthews. 

The New York Rangers and the Boston Bruins are also in need of a critical comeback as they make their way through the second round of the playoffs. The Rangers now head to the depths of the second round with a 3-2 lead after winning seven consecutive games from the first game of the first round all the way to the third game of the second round. However, after their fourth game against the Carolina Hurricanes, the score ended 4-1 Hurricanes with the last goal being an empty netter after the first three Canes goals were scored very close together (NHL.com). Mr. Gaccione, a teacher at Ramapo High School, states, “Overall I think the NHL playoffs were off to a slow start in round one with a lot of unevenly matched teams. For instance, the Rangers were way better than the Capitals and the series seemed like a waste of time. Of course, there are exceptions, the Stars and the Knights went to game seven, and last year’s champs, the Knights, were out in round one. I think the second round has been much more exciting and the fact that the Rangers and even the Knicks in basketball are both in the second round has made it very exciting in our area.”  The Boston Bruins are also in need of a major rebound as they head into game four of the playoffs which could very well be their final game of the postseason. The Florida Panthers have a striking 3-1 lead where they pulled themselves out of an early deficit. Since last year, the Panthers have won five straight playoff games at TD Garden which is the Bruins home arena (Nhl.com). Chloe Moros, a Junior at Ramapo states, “I am excited to see what the Bruins do with this series, I wonder if they will make it to round three.” 

Overall, this year’s playoffs could end with a very exciting championship winner. Who do you think will take home the cup? Will it be for your team or will it be for the opponent? The outcome is up for grabs.