Rampage

The Student News Site of Ramapo High School

Rampage

Rampage

Senior Spotlight: Chloe Heller

NJ.com
Chloe Heller is about to smash an overhead shot to win the North 1, Group 3 Sectional

This month’s Senior Spotlight goes to undefeated tennis player Chloe Heller! During her three-year tenure, she has helped her team win countless times. She and her team became league, county, state, and state-sectional champions (for the first time since 2017) and group state-sectional champions (for the first time since 1995) this year. She has won the deciding matches vs Fort Lee in the state sectional tournament, Millburn in the state Finals, and Tenafly in the counties.

Chloe recently won a third-set tie-breaker 10-7 against Angelina Wang to boost Ramapo’s way to victory (NJ.com). Chloe describes tennis as “[…] as much of a mental sport as physical, and that strategy is critical in success on the court.” We certainly see her quick thinking when watching her on the court because of the compliments from many people, including the opposite team. In addition to helping her team succeed, Chloe secured first place in the Bergen County tournament for third singles and maintained an undefeated record this season, finishing 21-0. 

Chloe’s tennis career started in elementary school. She says, When I was younger, I played multiple sports. However, I always loved tennis the most.” Despite setbacks, her determination helped her get where she is today.

Ramapo’s tennis coach, Coach Marchese, thinks highly of Chloe’s potential and sees her as a great leader. Other coaches and players highly respect her for her leadership abilities and intelligent play. Her coach also says, “Her determination is one of the strongest I’ve seen in a long time.”

Not only does Coach Marchese think highly of her, but so do her teammates. Tennis is a sport that many people think of as an individual one. However, Chloe has shown her sportsmanship and collaboration skills time and time again. Her teammate, Ella Saxton, says, “Chloe is one of the most positive people I know! She brings a great upbeat energy to tennis every day. She worked so hard to accomplish her goals and played a huge role on our team this year. She is an awesome teammate and friend!” 

As Chloe continues to succeed in her bright future, Ramapo will always support her wherever she goes. Her determination, quick thinking, and ability to get along with people on a team will bring her far in tennis and whatever she does in the future.