Jetting Toward Uncertainty

Michael Owens
Aaron Rodgers being helped off the field.

On April 24, 2023, the Jets struck a blockbuster deal with the Green Bay Packers, sending over multiple draft picks in exchange for former league MVP and Super Bowl Champion, Aaron Rodgers. The Jets have missed the playoffs for 12 consecutive seasons, the longest active drought in the NFL. A dynamic veteran quarterback like Rodgers, who has led numerous high-powered offenses, is exactly what the Jets needed to get over the hump and reach the playoffs.

Going into the 2023-2024 season, there was a lot of hype around what this new-look Jets offense might do. Ramapo science teacher and Jets fan, Mr. Cramer, described his excitement for the Jets this season as, “It truly did feel like it was going to be different. We finally had the QB that could give us some confidence on the offensive side of the ball.” While Jets fans were enthusiastic about the team entering the season, things quickly took a turn for the worst. On September 11, 2023, in the Jets’s season opener versus the Buffalo Bills, Rodgers tore his Achilles on the 4th play of the game. Despite Rodgers’s injury, the Jets rallied around backup quarterback Zach Wilson and won the game 22-16. 

While starting the season off with a win is always great, losing Rodgers is a devastating blow for the Jets and their playoff hopes. The Jets still have a strong roster overall, but questions now arise over their quarterback, and if Wilson will be good enough to lead the Jets to the postseason.
Although Rodgers’s season on the field is over, he still remains with the team, supporting and mentoring the young players, especially Wilson. Ramapo senior, Chris Cervino, says, “I think having Rodgers back with the team will be a huge help to the Jets. Zach will be way more calm with him as his mentor and I still think they are a good playoff team with their defense.” 

There are still plenty of games left and the Jets’ season is far from over, however, their success this year will rely on Wilson’s ability to step up and fill in for Rodgers. If Wilson can improve his play from last season and the defense continues to play well, it is very possible the Jets can still make a playoff push, even without Rodgers.