Senior Spotlight: Gavin Taylor

Gavin Taylor (#21) lays out to catch a game-winning hail mary pass to beat Somers
Michael Karas-The Record

For the season opener of the 2023 year, Ramapo kicked off on a night under the lights against Somers High School, the defending New York State Class A state champions. The game was a nail-biter all the way through, with both teams surpassing deficits and pulling off spectacular plays. However, there was one moment that certainly defined the night… and the game. 

The score was 34-26, with Somers ahead by 8 with 1:46 on the clock. After an efficient drive down the field, Ramapo quarterback Landon Deprima (#9), found WR Brandon Del Valle (#14), in the endzone for a touchdown. After failing to complete a two-point conversion needed to tie the game, Ramapo went for a last-effort onside kick, which was miraculously recovered by Kenton Grosvelt (#27). It was now Ramapo’s ball, and they needed someone to step up to the plate. That someone was Ramapo senior Gavin Taylor. 

With 0:06 seconds left on the clock, Deprima launched a 39-yard hail mary attempt to a sprinting Taylor down the right field sideline. In spectacular fashion, Taylor dove into the endzone, securing the ball and the walk-off win for the Raiders. Taylor, who was subbing in for injured star WR Zach Schnorrbusch, commented, “I just ran as fast as I could towards the end zone. I didn’t know if I would get to it, but I just fully extended and the ball ended up in my hands.” Taylor further credited his team and QB, stating, “It was a great throw by Landon. Our team never gave up, and it was a great feeling to come out on top.” 

Gavin, who grew up in Oakland NJ, has been playing football his entire life. He plays both WR and CB for the Raiders and is a pivotal player in the team’s success. Gavin’s athletic talents also extend past the football field, as he participates as a sprinter and long jumper for Ramapo’s track and field program. Mr. Manzo, Ramapo teacher and head coach for Track and Field, affirmed this, stating, “Gavin has had a very positive impact on the track program over his first three years, and we look forward to a big senior season as well. Gavin has a quiet intensity that makes him a force on the track, which he showed last season as part of the 4×100 relay team that broke the school record numerous times before setting it for good at the State Meet of Champions. We are all excited to have another year of track and field with Gavin.”

Gavin has proven himself a hard worker both on and off the field and has always left a positive impact on both his teammates and peers throughout the Ramapo community. Gavin looks to continue his successes on the field for the remainder of the season, and we wish him good luck and a great senior year.