The Dealings of DECA

John Henninger

The Distributive Education Clubs of America, DECA for short, is an academic program offered by Ramapo High School that offers hands-on experience and leadership opportunities for high school students. Students are tasked with a prompt including but not limited to the following topics: marketing, finance, hospitality, and management. They are then asked to develop an insightful solution on the matter. The vast range of topics are designed to help students develop critical thinking and develop their future real world skills. Ramapo offers DECA because of its ability to provide students with the necessary skills and information needed to succeed in business. When asked about his thoughts on DECA, Mr. Verdon, a US History teacher at Ramapo High School, said, “Ramapo offers students so many amazing academic clubs to pursue. I often hear from my students that DECA is an excellent program for students who are interested in business and marketing. Just recently, on a Model UN field trip to Bergen Academies, several senior members who are involved in both clubs fondly recounted their participation in DECA events through the years – allowing them to learn a lot, while also enjoying the time spent with their friends.” This response from Mr. Verdon was great to hear. Students of Ramapo’s DECA program cover a range of topics such as entrepreneurship, business ethics, and marketing techniques. Additionally, DECA provides students with opportunities to participate in leadership activities, networking events, and competitive events that challenge their skills and creativity. 

Antonio Spina, a junior at Ramapo and active member of DECA claims, “You don’t need any skills in particular to sign up, but if you want to succeed, you will need to study the skills in the field that you choose.” His response gives a good idea of what the club is like – not overwhelmingly difficult, yet enough to challenge the members who plan on going further in their competitive events, a key aspect of DECA.  Events consist of students traveling to certain locations where they are given real-world problems that they must address. These social events equip students with the chance to apply what they have gathered from the classroom to real-life scenarios and display their skills to potential employers.

Overall, the many assets that students can obtain from joining the DECA program prove to be priceless in regards to current and future matters that may arise. Do you have what it takes to become a member of DECA?