Senior Spotlight Emily Chico: Defensive Dynamo

Emily dribbles past the opponent.

Sarah Chagares, Editor in Chief

There is no “off season” for senior soccer standout Emily Chico. When she is not organizing the Ramapo defensive line, she is playing for her club team or engaged in her rigorous personal training regime. That schedule is not likely to change any time soon as her senior season winds down and she transitions to her new role on her collegiate soccer team.

Chico has been a stalwart and dependable member of the soccer team since her freshman year. However, she began playing soccer long before she trotted onto the sacred Ramapo turf. Her interest in the beautiful game began when she was in first grade. That interest evolved into a passion for the sport, which carried her through her adolescence, eventually securing a varsity spot on the Ramapo squad.

Playing the position of “outside back” Chico anchors of one of the strongest defensive lines in the state. The senior explained, “There is a lot of running in that position as you have to constantly get up and down the field. It is also a big responsibility because I am in the last line of defense before our goal.” The Ramapo defense has been successful in keeping the ball out of their goal as evidenced by the team’s national ranking. 

Crediting her teammates for the team’s success Chico commented, “My favorite part of being on the team is the environment and the players. We are an amazing team with undeniable talent, and not only that but we are a team and a family of twenty-one incredible girls who are constantly working hard and giving 110% no matter what the situation we are in and always laughing and supporting each other.” 

Coach Madeline Gibbs was very complimentary of the senior defensive player, proffering, “Emily is hardworking, determined and motivated. She has received numerous impressive accolades over the years, such as, all state, all county and all league. She is a phenomenal captain and leader for the Ramapo girls soccer program. I am also proud to announce she is one of twenty girls on the east coast selected to play in the All-American game this December. This is extremely deserving and I am excited for the rest of our season and to watch her success grow in college.” 

Chico, like seniors before her, wants to leave a legacy for future players and to that end she opined,  “I would want our senior class to be remembered as a hardworking, dedicated, responsible and comforting class because starting out as a freshman that is what I hoped for and that is what I experienced and I am very grateful for it.” 

Even as she enjoys her last few games on the Ramapo pitch, Chico’s focus is not only what is right in front of her, but also what is coming in the distance, much like her focus on the field during a match. She is looking forward to attending the University of South Carolina where she will don a garnet and black uniform as a member of the USC women’s soccer team. But for right now the future Gamecock is still enjoying her last few months of being a Raider.