Senior Spotlight: Leo Fornasieri

From kindergarten to his senior year of high school, performing  has always been a part of Leo Fornasieri’s life. Fornasieri’s love for acting, music, and all things performance stems from his older sister’s love for acting. Fornasieri began his performing career at the local YMCA after watching his sister perform, and he has loved it ever since. His affinity for performing continues to grow, and he currently works at the performing arts camp at the YMCA during the summer.

Fornasieri has been involved in all the performances available to him during his time at Ramapo. Despite COVID-19 disrupting his freshman year, the pandemic failed to stop him from performing while stuck in quarantine. Fornasieiri performed as Mr. Green during the Fall play of the beloved board game, Clue. While performing and practicing a show over Zoom was not ideal, he did not let the circumstances stop him from acting or singing. Following the Fall Zoom performance, Fornasieri has been a part of five additional productions with Ramapo’s Gold Masque Club. He has performed as Leaf Coneybear in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Spring musical his freshman year, Jesus in Godspell his sophomore year, and Mr. Cladwell in Urinetown his junior year.

Fornasieiri performed in both the Fall play and the Spring musical during his senior year and was given prominent roles in both productions. Performing as Lord Leonard Aster in the fall play, Peter and the StarCatcher, and more recently as Aldolpho in the Spring musical, The Drowsy Chaperone. Fornasieiri comments that his favorite character to play has been Jesus in Godspell his sophomore year, saying that the role “was so diverse and the way that he interacted with all of the cast was just so powerful for me.” 

Leo Fornasieri performing as Aldolpho in the 2024 spring musical, The Drowsy Chaperone

Ramapo Gold Masque Director Ms. Corrado also comments that Fornasieri brought charisma, dedication, and talent to Gold Masque. She compliments him on “leading the cast through beautiful moments and keeping audiences engaged with his undeniable charm. He is also incredibly brave for always taking on roles of a large caliber, even when he feels it is beyond his capabilities. We have spent countless hours studying his lines, and he always asks for help when it is needed.” She commends him for his hard work spent studying his lines, practicing dances, and assisting cast members. Ms. Corrado wishes him the best of luck in his future and says, “Leo is truly a one-of-a-kind person, and Gold Masque will be at a loss without him. I am so incredibly proud of how far he has come, and I know he will be able to reach any and all of his goals.”

Fornasieri explains that the theater community is what makes each performance special and that the community is “just so welcoming and just amazing to be around; I’ve made so many friends through theater.” While the welcoming community has helped Fornasieri fit into the world of performing arts, it is ultimately his love of singing and acting that has kept his career in the spotlight. He exclaims that he loves singing and acting because he gets to “find a new version of myself because it really puts me in my element, and I just feel so comfortable on stage.”

Fellow castmate and President of Gold Masque Addi Palmer comments on Fornasieri’s role in the club, saying, “… it has always been fun to see him take on the role of a new character. He always has a good attitude at rehearsals and knows how to make the theater experience fun. He is a dedicated and important member of this club, and Gold Masque will miss him a lot.” While the spotlights on the stage help Fornasieiri shine brightly, his personality and love for the art of performing truly help him stand out.

Fornasieri will be continuing his love for the art of performance at college, where he will be acting and playing the saxophone. He will attend Sacred Heart University, where he will study Sports Media. We wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors, and we thank you for all the wonderful memories and impacts you have had on Ramapo and Gold Masque.